The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is an nine-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of the Healthiest Companies in the North Bay' by the North Bay Business Journal for the last 5 consecutive years.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
Position Title: Call Center Agent
Summary: Call Center Agent delivers exceptional patient customer service through all channels of support over the phone. Call Center Agent is responsible for promptly answering calls, scheduling appointments, phone coding and navigating clients and customer needs.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Responsible for driving a positive patient customer service experience through multiple support channels including the patient portal, website and messaging systems
- Respond to inquiries from patients and outside agencies and refer, when necessary, to the appropriate person or department
- Adhere to all organizational policies, HIPAA regulations and Joint Commission guidelines
- System knowledge; creating and updating computerized patient records in PHI systems
- Monitor and maintain goal levels of calls per hour, calls placed on hold, ring no answer, transfer out and availability in Queue.
- Responsible for maintaining own technical knowledge of IT systems and utilizing internal messaging systems and PHI systems
- Utilize wiki for day to day job responsibility
- Schedule appointments according to policies and procedures, appointment matrix, proper visit types, and other current guidelines.
- Accurate capturing of patient demographics information, insurance information and structured data into PHI systems during each phone encounter
- Responsible for extensive knowledge of appointment protocols (new patient, controlled medication screening, mental health, women’s health and etc.)
- Conduct Confirmation calls and responsible for informing patients of forms/documents necessary for the appointment
- Assist in recall process
- Create telephone encounters, messages, email, notations and assign properly to staff
- Responsible for knowledge of programs/insurance
- Phone functionality (answer phones, park calls, transfer calls, conference calls, vocera)
- Promptly follow up on telephone encounters/actions
- Responsible for referring calls to nurse triage based on protocols and policies
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor and/or Manager
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School or equivalent or higher education
- Minimum of one year experience in a health care related field or customer service
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience and demonstration of strong customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic working knowledge of insurance coverage, claims submission and preauthorization process
- Sensitivity to the needs and situations of multi-cultural populations from a variety of income levels
- Excellent attention to detail
Language Skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions and requests from patients, co-workers, and others as necessary. Bilingual in English and Spanish; verbal required, written preferred.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems, collect data and establish facts.
Computer Skills: High level of computer literacy and proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), electronic medical records, web applications and the ability to type 35 words per minute.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Movement within health center complex environment repeatedly throughout the day
- Ability to write by hand, use phone, use computer keyboard and mouse extensively to perform general office functions
- Manual wrist and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions for extended periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate by hearing continuously and speech in a manner which can be understood by a diverse population
- Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy
- Must have visual acuity near and far (20 inches to 20 feet), depth perception, field of vision, ability to focus on an object, ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time (minimum periods of one hour at a time)
- Ability to frequently walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, and climb with the use of a step stool
- Ability to grasp, hold and pick up and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to frequently lift and or move up to 15 pounds (supplies and equipment)
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 35 pounds (periodic lifting of supplies or equipment)
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to travel to and from other health center sites and community locations
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Petaluma Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly through our career page at www.phealthcenter.org.
Petaluma Health Center Inc