The Director, Public Affairs & Communications will serve as a critical member of the Public Affairs & Communications team working closely with the EVP as well as members of the Council’s senior management team, the Communications Executive Committee, the Public Affairs Committee and the International Communications Network.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Develop and execute strategic communications plans and public affairs strategies on key issues; formulate and execute appropriate media relations strategies and tactics to support those plans as appropriate. Assist in message and materials development.
- Idea generation, pitching and garnering placements in key media outlets. Cultivate relationships with appropriate news outlets and platforms (broadcast, print and online, domestic and international, mainstream, trade and beauty press).
- Participate in media interviews, including background reporters, prepare materials for subject matter experts being interviewed, and brief subject matter experts to help them prepare for interviews. Conduct the appropriate follow up with media if/when needed. This position will “triage” all media inquiries and make recommendations for engagement to the EVP. On occasion, this position could be expected to serve as an industry spokesperson.
- Work with science, global, legislative and legal teams on organizational strategy and help lead message development activities; working closely with department head.
- Develop news releases, press statements, speeches, talking points, memos, presentations, Website copy, newsletter articles, and other appropriate public affairs materials with minimal copyediting required.
- Assist public affairs team in serving communications needs of PCPC’s member companies especially members of the Communications Executive Committee.
- Translate positions and technical information into compelling visual advocacy communications working closely with the Communications and Digital Media Specialist.
- Track effectiveness of communications through use of various analytical tools to measure success and identify areas in need of strengthening, including the overall visibility of the PCPC brand and key executives within the association.
- Oversee content development for the PCPC website as well as ongoing maintenance of the site.
- As needed, represent the department in both internal and external meetings.
- Continue to enhance and protect the industry and organization’s reputation by identifying key partnerships and areas for collaboration among government, NGOs and other trade and advocacy organizations.
- Work closely with outside communications consultants.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication, Written: Strong writing and editing skills, with the ability to analyze and condense complex information.
- Communication, Oral: Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word. Strong presentation skills are essential.
- Organization: Strong organizational skills are needed in addition to flexibility to manage full workload and various priorities.
- Time Management: Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Reliability: The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Working Under Pressure: Ability to complete assigned tasks well under stressful situations and often times with competing deadlines.
- Tactful: Ability to show consideration for and maintain good relationships with others.
- Honesty / Integrity: Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Goal Oriented: Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Accuracy: Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Accountability: Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Team Builder: Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
- Consensus Building: Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a common goal.
- Creative: Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in communications, public affairs or relevant discipline
Experience: 10 plus years of experience in communications, public affairs, or public relations or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Computer Skills: MS Office, Database
- Experience working in agency environment is helpful;
- Experience in crisis communications and in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in supporting high-level leaders/executives, proactively building and maintaining relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and working with the media to achieve high-impact placements;
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker while juggling tight deadlines and competing priorities