Applied Genetics Assistant
PeopleSuite Talent Solutions Santa Barbara County, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The Applied Genetics Assistant (AGA), will play a highly collaborative role within a scientifically diverse R&D team. The purpose of the AGA role is to improve the performance of the Companys germplasm and consumer products through the support in the generation of readily applicable trait-specific genetic information, the development of innovative molecular breeding approaches and tools, and its implementation in the product development.
- Support the execution of germplasm development strategies, within objectives given by the Genomics/Breeding team.
- Conduct data analysis for trait discovery, genetic diversity, and molecular-breeding-based germplasm development projects.
- Manage with Molecular Breeding Operations (and others) the implementation of germplasm development projects, including liaising with genotyping laboratories, Genomics, Chemistry, Nursery and Breeding teams. Ensure proper project advancement, within budget and timeframe.
- Work closely with MB Ops to support seamless execution of marker projects, particularly around planning, experimental design, and plant selection.
- Support the trait discovery data collection, data quality and analysis in collaboration with Genomics, Chemistry and Breeding teams.
- Provide expertise in the development and application of tools, protocols, and methodologies for molecular breeding, working together with other scientists, including external collaborators.
- Supporting efforts to maintain integrity of genotypic and phenotypic data.
- Maintain integrity of database. Run replication and reconciliation software.
- Serve as member of research team to achieve all objectives and milestones for each defined project.
- Coordinate with other research personnel and projects.
- Perform all task and behaving in a manner compliant with and in support of all safety related company policies and practices.
- Collaboratively analyze and solve technical problems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Experience building and refining processes, as the company grows
- Past experience in startups is preferred
- MSc with 3-5 years experience in molecular biology, genetics, plant biology or related discipline.
- A thorough knowledge of breeding theory and Mendelian genetics (experimental designs, descriptive and test statistics, genetic gain theory, genetic models, linkage disequilibrium, genetic diversity analysis, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience of common software platforms and databases for statistical, genetic and genomic discovery.
- Thorough understanding of genotyping systems.
- Good understanding of genomics tools and approaches, including expression profiling, genome sequencing, NGS, etc.
- Knowledge of one or several specific crop(s) and their breeding.
- Good understanding of plant pathology principles.
- Good understanding of biochemical principles
- Knowledge of the commercial needs of the seeds business
- Functional knowledge of California cannabis regulations
- Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire
- Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format
- Excellent organization, communication and computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially those required to successfully function as part of cross-functional, cross-cultural, multi-location teams.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex instructions.
- Capacity to innovate in a focused and product-oriented manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of breeding or other required scientific principles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are a must in order to gather, as well as convey pertinent information to a multi-disciplinary group.
- Demonstrated project management experience (including resource and timeline management).
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and interpreting large datasets of genomic, phenotypic, and environmental information in the interpretation of germplasm responses to cultivation and in the dissection of genetic by environment interactions.
What You'll Receive
- Competitive base salary and performance-based incentive plan.
- Company Sponsored Activities
- Health Coverages - Company contributes to employee & dependent premiums! (Medical PPO & Rx Coverage / Dental PPO & HMO / Vision PPO)
- Other Paid Benefits: (Employee Assistance Programs w/Mental Health Support / Life & AD&D / Disability)
- Paid Time Off: vacation, sick, holiday, & bereavement