Job Title: System Administrator
Duties and responsibilities depend greatly on the employer, but the most typical are the following:
- Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. In large companies, this requires understanding a global or multi-office network infrastructure.
- Helps develop, document, communicate, and enforce a network technology policy.
- Is responsible for the installation and configuration of new software and hardware, including the server network, devices and firewalls.
- Is responsible for monitoring system performance, IT system operations and storage utilization.
- Plans ahead for necessary hardware or software upgrades to support system growth.
- Manages user accounts and assets, and assigns and updates security permissions on the network according to security policy.
- Provides support with escalated help desk requests.
- Leads a team of systems administrators, coordinates with different departments.
- Mentors team members and educates users.
- Candidate to have at least 6–10 years of experience working in the information technology sector.
- Education: You need at least a bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science, information science, information systems or related field.
- Technical expertise: You need advanced knowledge of networking and distributed computing environment concepts, as well as a sound understanding of the principles of routing, firewalls, and client/server applications.
- You should also have experience with troubleshooting and issue resolution principles, methodologies and techniques.
- As with most tech positions, you also need a strong desire to learn about new technologies.
- Desirable knowledge. Candidate to have a good knowledge of applicable laws, ITAR, DFARS and data privacy policies.
- Personal skills.
- This position also requires team management and problem-solving skills, resourcefulness, strong organization skills, and initiative.
- Change Controlled environment experience