The Public Relations and Communications Specialist is passionate about telling the stories of the PJCC across multiple channels as well as through relationships formed within the public relations area. The specialist will bring a passion for creative, compelling marketing storytelling. With strong writing, editing, relationship and P.R. skills, the Public Relations and Communications Specialist is able to manage detailed projects with firm timelines to meet and exceed strategic goals.
The Public Relations and Communications Specialist will be responsible for writing and delivering compelling content across various media; and sharing content regularly to drive awareness of the PJCC; increase membership leads; increase program participation; and create engagement with members and the greater community.
Additionally, the Public Relations and Communications Specialist will shape and enhance our image in ways that promote our services, values and mission. Lastly, this position will be responsible for maintaining media relations as well as contribute as a writer and editor to ensure brand consistency and quality content.
What your day-to-day would consist of as the Public Relations and Communications Specialist:
- Formulate PR strategic planning, and coordinate and execute all public relations activities.
- Successfully pitch stories by assertively cultivating media relationships resulting in media coverage according to specific objectives (proactively pitched stories and media generated contacts for subject-matter expertise).
- Develop and maintain relationships with media representatives in publications, channels and the blogosphere appropriate for the intended target audiences.
- Arrange interviews, media tours, and visits to facilitate desired positioning and messaging for the PJCC.
- Create content for press releases, byline articles, social media, and other media outlets.
- Secure press coverage through a strong media and influencer effort across print, TV, radio, digital, blogger, and related platforms.
- Identify opportunities for executives to participate in media opportunities, conferences, and other promotional activities.
- Work with the Marketing Director and CMO to develop and refine measurement strategies for PR campaigns.
- Identify local organizations who have relevant opportunities for various PJCC areas to tell our stories.
- Develop creative ways to inform and engage employees.
- Develop employee engagement content.
- Identify and help manage internal staff communications platform.
- 5 years of solid marketing, communications, and/or public relations experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or equivalent.
- Advanced writing skills for digital and print influencing. Perfect spelling and grammar, adherence to sophisticated business/editorial writing & style standards. Knowledge of AP Style, or Chicago Manual of Style, expected.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with an aptitude for identifying compelling stories and telling them in a clear and effective way, and an ability to develop ongoing relationships to further media relations.
- An independent working style — must be self-driven, resourceful, and capable.
- Experience with/knowledge of essential tasks: pitching media, drafting press releases, and researching media contacts.
- Demonstrated experience in the iterative process of drafting, reviewing, and suggesting edits for other people’s writing.
- Ability to work effectively across many business units to influence, manage, and drive communications narratives across the internal organization.
- Ability to thoroughly research topics to create new content and speak knowledgably about the PJCC and its programs/services.
- Project Management – communicate deadlines, manage to timelines, engage varied stakeholders.
- Initiative and creativity required to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Jewish Culture and/or contacts within Jewish community, a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and developed contacts within local and regional media.
- Must understand the significance of the Oxford comma.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY:
- Competitive Salary
- Full Benefits including medical and dental
- Generous Paid Time-Off
- Program and Service Discounts
- FREE Gym Membership
Please attach a cover letter, resume and portfolio; must include writing samples, for consideration.
Writing samples include articles, sales material, print promotional material, social media content, blogs and email samples.