Reporting to the Assistant Production Manager, the packaging operator fills daily coffee orders by operating automated and manual packaging equipment, monitoring the overall quality of all bulk containers, and fulfilling packaging duties in a safe and efficient manner. This is a non-exempt, full time, with variable schedule.
- Participates and support Kaizen events to improve internal Lean Manufacturing processes to increase production’s efficiency and quality
- Operates automated and manual packaging machines including vertical packaging lines, automated and manual casings, sealing machines, and loading large flexible intermediate bulk containers (750lbs) and packaging them under modified atmosphere.
- Replenishes fulfillment lines by loading film stock, packing, labeling, and palletizing packaged products in a safe and efficient manner.
- Transfer roasted coffee beans to the packaging area, requiring operators to weigh and portion out a variety of coffees.
- Ensures strict quality standards including seal integrity and residual oxygen levels.
- Prepares, maintains and verifies all accompanying paperwork for Quality Assurance, food safety, shipping and traceability.
- Assists maintenance department as needed on equipment.
- Maintains equipment and work area clean as per AIB (American Institute of Baking), Silliker, and company standards.
- Completes all other tasks as assigned by manager or coordinator
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to frequently and continuously lift 5 - 10 pounds
- Ability to comfortably lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50+ pounds.
- Ability to stand for a minimum of 8 hours a day
- Bend/squat to change film
- Irregular hours (weekends, nights, overtime, holidays ) due to business needs
- Warehouse environment with loud machinery and strong coffee scent
- Must be 18 years old
- Ability to read and follow written instructions accurately in English
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required, even on short notice
- Attention to detail, accuracy, thoroughness and flexibility
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Basic computer skills.
- Accuracy, thoroughness, reliability, and ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to uphold and follow safety, food safety, and production quality standards