Peeples Industries Inc. Savannah, GA
- Posted: over a month ago
- $50,000 to $60,000 Yearly
- Benefits: medical, vision, 401k, dental, life insurance,
Job Description and duties:
- Stevedores are responsible for loading and unloading a ship's cargo and must follow the ship's plan to ensure that cargo is loaded and unloaded correctly.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe work environment for operators and laborers reporting to the stevedore while facilitating cargo production to meet agreed goals for loading or discharge.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Will also be required to perform basic clerical duties to moor and unmoor vessels upon arrival and departure.
- Spends most of his or her workday outside, performing physical labor in all weather conditions.
- Performs a variety of tasks working under general supervision. Reports to Supervisor / Ops manager.
- Step in to resolve conflicts that may arise between workers on site, and exhibit good sense of judgment to ensure that parties involved are treated fairly without bias.
- A typical work week is 50 hours.
- Safety-conscious, organized, and ability to work irregular hours and follow written plans.
- A stevedore works in a potentially dangerous environment and must consider safety above all else
- Must have at least 3-4 years of proven leadership or supervisory experience.
- Must have operational knowledge of cranes, front-end loaders and bulldozers in ship operations.
- Must also be able to communicate clearly with work crew and vessel crews who may be of other nationalities.
- A certain degree of creativity and self-starting capacity is required.
- Good organizational and communication skills are important, along with the ability to read and follow written plans.
- Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within a particular field.
- Relies on limited experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals. . Must be able to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word / Microsoft Excel is required
- High School Diploma with 3 years of experience and/or
- Bachelors degree with emphasis on logistics.
- Depending on experience level, may have to complete an apprenticeship and/or formal training in area of specialty with 2~4 years of experience in the field or in a related area
- Commensurate with education and experience level of previous work.
- 40 hours guaranteed, overtime for all weekend work.
- Access to company 401K with 3% match and health insurance plan (either PPO or high deductible), dental insurance, vision care.
- Full benefits including paid 10 days’ vacation and 10 paid Holidays, 10 (of which 3 unexcused) sick days.
The bollard is an enduring symbol in the maritime industry. It is a reflection of who we are and our commitment to our customers to serve them with stability, strength, endurance and protection.
Peeples Industries Inc.Why Work Here?
Great pay and great benefits!
In the highly competitive and demanding maritime industry, Peeples Industries, Inc. (“PII”) is recognized as a leader for both outstanding customer service and innovation. Our range of experience includes bulk, break bulk and container stevedoring, terminal operations, warehousing, vessel chartering, inland logistics (truck & rail), materials handling engineering, industrial marine construction, and dredging. The bollard is an enduring symbol in the maritime industry. It is a reflection of who we are and our commitment to our customers to serve them with stability, strength, endurance and protection.
136 Marine Terminal DrSavannah, GA
Transportation and Storage