The Automation Engineer will work collaboratively with customers, program managers, mechanical and software engineers and manufacturing through the entire new product development life cycle. Will provide leadership to Santa Clara design/service engineers as well as take on hands on role in Test Engineering and Automation Engineering programs. Will also interface with the company design and program management team.
Will provide technical leadership and hands on design and troubleshooting for diverse range of capital equipment
Provide multiple roles as needed from design, implementation, and commissioning to sales and service support.
Write and collaborate on detailed requirements, design and other documentation with overseas engineering team
- The engineer should be capable of understanding, bridging and making decisions in all 3 major fields of automation (mechanical, electrical and software).
- The ideal candidate will be a seasoned engineer in automation and tool development from concept to tool build. Most likely this is a software/controls engineer that has good experience with driving the mechanical/electrical side.
- 5+ years developing automation and test equipment.
- Strong experience in multiple platforms (PLC, PC, Robots, Microcontrollers)
- Background in multiple programming environments (C++,C#, Objective-C, ControlLogix).
- Experience in automation best practices.
- Experience with automation vision systems.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation communications skills.
- Ability to produce results independently while tightly coordinating efforts with multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to lead and direct multiple engineer team members.
- Ability to work with customers.
- 3 to 4 trips per year for two weeks to China
In addition here is a broad list of qualifications; an automation engineer should be able to understand many of these topics:
- PC Programming – Visual Studio .Net ,C/C++, C#, VB, Objective-C, Python, Java, Multithreading, Libraries, Source Control
- PLCs – Rockwell, Codesys, Keyence, IEC 61131
- Microcontroller and FPGA – Atmel, ST Micro, Altera
- Safety Controllers – GuardLogix, Siemens, Banner, Sick, OMRON
- National Instruments – LabView, Measurement Studio
- Robots – Epson, Denso, FANUC, Motoman, Staubli, Yamaha
- Vision Systems – Cognex, Keyence, Matrox
- Lasers – Trumpf, Rofin, Keyence
- Motion Controllers – MEI, Galil, Aerotech, Bosch, IAI
- SCADA – Rockwell Factory Talk View ME/SE/Distributed, Indusoft, Wonderware
- Databases – Oracle, SQL
- Control Networks – EthernetIP, EtherCat, ASiBus, DeviceNet, Modbus, Serial, Windows Sockets
- IO Systems – Point IO, Flex IO, Festo, Murr, Beckhoff, Phoenix
- Windows – Networking, Server, Scripting
- Operating Systems – Windows Desktop/Server, OSX, Unix, iOS, Android
- Virtual Machines – WMWare, ESXI
- Advanced Microsoft Office and VBA Automation
- CAD – Solidworks, AutoCAD, ProE, PDM Systems
- Lab Equipment – Oscilloscope, Electronic Load, Laser Interferometer
- International Standards – ISO, EN, UL, CE, IEC, TUV
Other General Requirements:
- Knowledge of NFPA 79, NEC, Semi S2, Machine Safety Design Standard (ISO 13849) requirements.
- Good knowledge of off-the-shelf electrical hardware such as PLC, relays, power supply, motion drivers, etc.
- Good understanding of motion control systems and applications.
- Good understanding of PC and PLC controls architecture.
- Working knowledge of lab equipment, oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal generators, logic analyzers.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects and accommodate tight schedules.
- Experience with micro control based test equipment.
- BS + 10 years/MS in related discipline.
- Capable of speaking/understanding Mandarin is a plus.