Peak Performers is a nonprofit recruiting firm specializing in contract roles for Texas public sector clients. We've partnered with Texas Military Department to recruit for a STEM Teacher (Training Specialist III) in Austin, TX.
STARBASE Austin's objective is to raise the interest and improve the knowledge and skills of at-risk 5th graders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) by offering 25 hours of exemplary instruction using an engaging curriculum that meets and exceeds State standards. Hosted at Camp Mabry, students participate in challenging "hands-on, mind-on" activities and interact with military personnel to explore careers and observe STEM applications in the "real world."
Performs complex (journey level) professional and education activities as an Instructor for the Texas National Guard STARBASE Program’s Austin Site. Serves as a classroom instructor for academic instruction. Work involves the analysis of instructional needs, the development of lesson plans in alignment with STARBASE Standards, Objectives, and Activities and state and national standards, the preparation of instructional materials, and implementation of exemplary pedagogy. The STARBASE Instructor reports to the Austin STARBASE Director and works under general supervision with moderate latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Serves as classroom instructor to teach STARBASE academic and Computer Aided Design (CAD) curriculum.
- Utilizes a variety of strategies and teaching methods to encourage students’ curiosity and natural desire to experiment and discover.
- Evaluates and continuously improves program and curriculum based on assessment data evaluations, observations and educator and participant feedback.
- Collects, enters, analyzes and interprets outcome data from student and program evaluations to compile data and provide reports.
- Provides written information or presentations to promote community awareness of the program as directed.
- Performs related work as assigned, on occasion work a flexible schedule and travel to local schools
- Performs duties as defined by the STARBASE Austin task matrix.
- Knowledge of training procedures and techniques; education principles, practices, and techniques; of learning management and learning content management systems; group processes, group dynamics, and interpersonal relations; and instructional design and curriculum development
- Skill in oral and written communication, instructing others; researching and developing curriculum; developing presentation graphics; presenting academic lessons effectively and interestingly to culturally and ethnically diverse students
- Ability to train others; organize and analyze data; occasionally work a flexible schedule; and be available to travel up to 25%
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree is required.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in training work
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with an elementary or middle school ESL Generalist certificate is preferred.
- Recent experience (within the past five years) teaching youth in an academic environment is preferred.
- Course work in elementary/middle school teaching methods is preferred.
REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE:
- A valid Texas teaching certificate is required within 12 months
- Valid driver’s license is required. A satisfactory driving record is required for driving state or personal vehicles to conduct agency business.
PHYSICAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is generally performed in a classroom setting involving standing for extended periods of time. This position requires the flexibility to interact with students by walking, stooping, bending and sitting to perform job duties. Work requires use of a personal computer and telephone. This position may periodically require the ability to lift, carry, move and/or set up equipment and materials that weigh up to 25 pounds.
Project term: January 6, 2020 through approximately May 22, 2020
Compensation: $24.00/hr (W2)
Work Location: Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 4:00PM
What's it like to work for Peak Performers?
- Qualified applicants with chronic medical conditions and/or disabilities receive job preference.
- Our clients can hire you at any time - with no fee! We want you to get hired.
- We pay weekly through direct deposit.
- We offer ACA compliant health insurance at 60 days.
- In business since 1994, our relationships span 25 years and thousands of job placements.
All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Applicants for employment with Peak Performers must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship for a visa now or in the future.
Peak Performers is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, marital status, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Peak Performers does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.