Behavioral Health Medical Assistant
- $21 to $27 Hourly
Peach Tree Healthcare has an opening for a Behavioral Health Medical Assistant at our North Sacramento clinic. This is a Full-time position . Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm.
Applicants must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and be able to show proof of vaccination.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS JOB: Please complete our online assessment testing by following this link- http://www.ondemandassessment.com/link/index/JB-LVCMLB7F?u=106496Qualifications
Basic Patient Care Principles; Medical Terminology; Computer literacy; Current AHA BLS certification required.
Primarily advocates for the patient, to access resources or referrals with established community programs, and help facilitate medical visits. Provide wellness and health promotion materials to patients and their support networks. Monitor treatment adherence (including medication) and provide information to the Behavioral Health & Medical teams as needed. Utilize motivational interviewing skills to build rapport and encourage change. Work as an integrated part of the Behavioral Health team and medical teams at various clinics.Work Experience
Minimum two years as a Certified Medical Assistant experience required, preferably in ambulatory or community clinic setting. Two or more years of experience in behavioral health or related field preferred.Education
High School diploma or equivalent plus completion of accredited Medical Assistant Training Program with Certification from CCBMA or AAMASkills
Speaking, Active Listening, Reading Comprehension, Time Management, written communication including accurate documentation in the EHR, Critical Thinking, Negotiation, Judgment / Decision Making; Oral Comprehension, Verbal Communication, Proactive Attitude. Additional Behavioral Health skills such as Mental Health First Aide, Motivational Interviewing, and De-escalation techniques preferred.Expectations
- Come prepared to work with stethoscope, watch, pen, hair pulled back, nails clean and short per policy.
- Anticipate provider’s needs for equipment and patient history.
- Use masks, gloves and safety glasses to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases.
- Maintain a positive attitude towards patients and coworkers.
- Attend staff meetings and mandatory staff training as required.
- Cell phones, texting, and internet use are prohibited unless on a rest or meal break.
- Demonstrate safe use of equipment and report malfunctions.
- Work as part of a healthcare team to assess patient needs, and assist co-workers as needed to ensure prompt patient care.
- Function as support for Behavioral Health Providers and respond to the needs of the patients within the scope of practice.
- Demonstrate principles of aseptic and sterile technique and correct use and indications for PPE.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and nursing care relevant to body systems.
- Be courteous when getting patient from the waiting area.
- Practice within the scope of a Certified Medical Assistant
Examples of Primary Duties
- Knowledge of basic rapport building skills with patients.
- Knowledge of ZOOM software and telehealth capabilities/limitations and be able to explain easily to patients.
- Answer phone calls and e-mails, returning messages within 24 hours with compassionate customer service skills.
- Call patients to schedule follow up or reschedule no show appointments as directed by the Behavioral Health Providers
- Chaperon and assist providers with telehealth equipment.
- Check fax/mail inbox for orders diligently.
- Document patient vital signs such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration and chief complaint for visit in EHR and report to the Provider any acute findings requiring immediate interventions.
- Observe patients, charting and reporting changes in patients' conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and taking any necessary action.
- Check out patients after the visit and ensure Patient Plan is given
- Check that all exam equipment is functioning properly.
- Clean and sanitize patient rooms between appointments.
- Collect urine samples and perform routine tests directed by the Provider; prepare other specimens for testing or lab pickup.
- Complete assigned tasks within 2 business days
- Clean, Wash and sterilize equipment per autoclave process.
- Communicate with patients in their native language to perform intake.
- Coordinate referral of services to and from other Health Care Providers
- Document treatments and procedures completed. Observes/reports to provider and documents patient response to treatments and procedures according to policy/procedure.
- Document when faxes are sent and received.
- File patient information in patient EHR record in a timely manner.
- Follow up on patient no shows and recalls.
- Follow up on referrals weekly. Track all X-rays, labs, MRIs, CT scans, and other referrals requiring preauthorization.
- Follow up with patient regarding lab results.
- Log sample medications given to patient and document in EHR.
- Obtain prior authorizations for medications, DME and diagnostic testing.
- Order labs, diagnostic tests, and IZs as directed.
- Perform and document Patient education during visit.
- Perform Biohazard maintenance (check all sharps containers, biohazard trash cans.)
- Perform EKG tests
- Perform Glucometer controls
- Performs vital signs accurately including BMI for >2 years old. If there are red in readings, repeat for accuracy especially the Blood Pressure. If necessary, use right size cuff for manual reading.
- Prepare for visit by pulling diagnostic reports (labs, x-rays)
- Prepare patients for examinations, tests, or treatments and explain procedures.
- Process all the paperwork in the Provider’s outbox.
- Process school and work notes for patients
- Provide basic patient care or treatments, such as taking temperatures or blood pressures, dressing wounds.
- Provide PPD testing as well as SQ, IM and ID Injection administration
- Retrieve specimens from the exam rooms (Strep tests, etc.)
- Room patients promptly when updated to “Ready to room”.
- Schedule diagnostic testing as directed by the Provider and informing patients as appropriate.
- Send medication refills as directed by the Provider.
- Stock assigned patient rooms daily and as needed to maintain proper inventory.
- Assist in training new staff and students.
- Clean soil room and clean room, keeping accurate log of completion.
- Log samples from drug companies
- Order vaccines
- Perform checks of vaccines and samples to ensure viability. Dispose of outdated meds per protocol.
- Apply splints and provide assistance in Orthopedic care.
- Record vaccine temperature logs twice daily
- Special program - VFC or BCEDP
- Perform check of eye wash station and emergency cart, keeping accurate log of completion.
- Order appropriate lab and medical supply per ordering list
Peach Tree ClinicSacramento, CA
Get fresh Behavioral Health Medical Assistant jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.