Passages Addiction Treatment Centers is recruiting for Chemical Dependency Counselor (CDC) for our Port Hueneme facility, Passages Ventura. As the highest regarded treatment center in the country, and accredited by TJC, Passages offers our clients a holistic approach to treatment that assists our clients to maintain sobriety. CDC’s are an essential part of the Passages team. We are looking for motivated, compassionate individuals to join our team. You must have Chemical Dependency certification from one of the following accredited organizations for Substance Abuse Counselors:
- CAADE – California Association for Alcohol and Drug Educators
- CADTP – California Association of DUI Treatment Programs
- CCAPP – California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses clients for substance abuse, dependence, and other addictive behaviors
- Assesses barriers to learning
- Demonstrates the ability to establish rapport with clients, families, and other caregivers, i.e. outside therapists etc.
- Reassesses clients throughout their stay to determine the clients’ response to care and when there are significant changes in the clients’ condition
- Demonstrates the ability to identify clients’ level of honesty and self-motivation
- Demonstrates the ability to identify clients’ obstacles to utilizing resources outside the facility
- Assesses clients’ needs regarding referrals to community resources
- Demonstrates the ability to assess for abuse and neglect
- Assesses clients for relevant cultural and spiritual issues and incorporates these findings into the treatment plan
- Provides individual chemical dependency counseling
- Provides group therapy; demonstrates competency as a group facilitator utilizing a variety of treatment modalities
- Provides educational and other didactic groups for clients
- Documents clients’ responses to group sessions in the clients’ records
- Conducts individual counseling sessions with clients as assigned
- Documents clients’ responses to individual sessions in the clients records
- Participates in the development and implementation of an individualized plan of treatment in conjunction with the other members of the treatment team within one week of admission; effectively incorporates information from assessments into treatment goals and interventions
- Participates in the development of weekly treatment plan updates in conjunction with the other members of the treatment team
- Demonstrates the ability to therapeutically confront clients and their family members as indicated.
- Communicates with outside therapists and other appropriate parties as indicated within the bounds of confidentiality
- Assesses need for and provides education related to the clients’ chemical dependency and psychological disorders
- Conducts group and individual educational activities and indicated
- Demonstrates awareness of each client’s barriers to learning and tailors educational activities to those barriers
- Documents education provided in the clients records
- Reevaluates clients’ educational needs throughout their stay
- Demonstrates the ability to educate clients and their families regarding community resources.
- Addresses discharge planning needs and assists the clients with discharge planning; documents discharge summaries in the clients records
- Reports incidents of suspected/known abuse/neglect, using prescribed forms and protocols from the relevant community, state, and federal agencies
- Complies with the mandatory reporting laws, policies, and procedures
- Documents discharge plans, including community referrals and follow-up appointments with therapists and other necessary professionals
- Individualizes discharge plans according to the clients’ ability to utilize resources.
- Assists with the coordination of client’s discharge plans
- Protects client confidentiality when interfacing with internal and external resources.
- Provides all necessary information to receiving facilities, local agencies, caregivers, therapists, physicians, and/or family members
- Demonstrates skill in establishing rapport with a variety of referral sources, services, and community resources resulting in an effective transition from one level of care to another
- Maintains contact as necessary after discharge with receiving facilities, caregivers, and/or family members within the bounds of patient confidentiality and in accordance with facilities policies and procedures
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skills in case management, time management and crisis intervention
- Extensive knowledge of chemical dependency and psychological disorders
- Ability to conduct group therapy
- Ability to conduct individual counseling
- Ability to summarize pertinent clinical information via written correspondence and records documentation in accordance with facility policies
- Must be able to concentrate on work amid distractions from noise, conversations, and foot traffic; must be flexible in work hours in order to meet facility needs
- Must maintain self-control in volatile or hostile situations, such as when verbally or physically confronted
- Must be able to set therapeutic limits and maintain therapeutic distance with clients and maintain therapeutic boundaries with clients during treatment and after discharge
- Must be able to address and prioritize multiple task demands within established time frame
- Must be flexible with schedule to meet the needs of the facility
- Normal demands associated with an office environment
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to speak and hear for communication
- Ability to communicate with others by telephone, email, and face to face
AA degree or Bachelor’s preferred
Chemical Dependency certification from an accredited program, e.g. CAADAC or CAADE (Do not apply if you do not have this)
Extensive experience in behavioral health field
Extensive experience delivering chemical dependency services in a behavioral health/ chemical dependency setting
This is a great opportunity to join our rapidly growing company.
If you are interested, please send your resume and cover letter with contact information.
*Passages conducts post-offer, pre-employment screening that includes:
1) a background check (including criminal records, driving record, professional license, education, supervisor reference, and other applicable areas of inquiry)
2) a urine drug screen
3) a health screening (including tuberculosis testing). If an offer is made, it will be conditioned upon timely completion to the company’s satisfaction in its sole discretion, of these screenings.