Senior Operational Hazard Specialist
- Posted: over a month ago
This position will support the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) as a Senior Operational Hazard Specialist. In this role, you will travel to airports and conduct Hazard Assessments/Analysis. The hazard analysis for TSA operating environments encompass a wide range of safety, health, and industrial hygiene areas including: personal protective equipment assessments, electrical safety, ergonomics, hazardous chemicals, fire life safety, noise, temperature extremes, lighting, indoor air quality, ventilation, material handling such as conveyors, forklift, and powered jack lift operations, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, and explosives. The operating environments may include airports, rail yards, ferry terminals, bus terminals, cargo facilities, maintenance facilities, and laboratories where TSA employees are required to perform their security functions.
This position will be 30-50% travel and the rest will be telework. Travel will include both driving and flying depending on location.
- Expertise and experience in performing surveys to identify and evaluate hazards in the workplace using general science and engineering principles, OSHA and other safety and health standards and regulations. The ability to interpret and understand the federal, state and local regulatory authorities and intent of codes, standards and regulations.
- Perform on-site hazard analysis to identify the nature and scope of risks associated with the specific operation.
- Writes or edits technical materials, such as written program documents, training programs, standards operating procedures, policy documents and design specifications.
- Translates technical information into clear, readable documents to be used by technical and non-technical personnel.
- Conducts data analysis and prepares data summaries and interpretations.
- Works independently, directly with client management staff.
- Responsible for quality control of technical reports.
- Provides technical and management skills for managing large, complex technical project.
- Prepare a formal hazard analysis report for each site or operation assessed. The report will summarize the survey and monitoring data, findings, trends, recommendations, corrective actions, risk assessment, and lessons learned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent rapport with people.
- Basic understanding of chemistry, acids, bases and solvents, flammable liquids, gases, cryogenics. Knowledge of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes classification, storage, and disposal.
- Good understanding of the fire triangle, properties of combustion, flammability, a basic understanding of Fire Protection Engineering (i.e., sprinkler density, Heat detection, water hydrology basics only, basics of PIV, FDC, Risers, Inspectors Valve), extinguisher types and systems, building construction, occupancy ratings.
- Knowledge of Human Anatomy, Physiology and Human Factors Engineering (Ergonomics) basics with identification on human movement and task analysis and job hazard analysis.
- Basics of electricity, pressure, force, momentum
- Basic understanding of chemicals, effects, and dose relationship
- Basic understanding of the relationship industrial hygiene plays in workplace safety and health, identification of agents affecting workers and some basic sampling in air quality, sound (level, frequency band analysis, sound attenuation engineering basics), sick building syndrome, heat and cold assessment, workplace monitoring experience useful
- Emergency Plan – Good knowledge and understanding about exit routes, NFPA 101, Exit Signs, dead ends, exit distances.
- Facility and Building - basic understanding of facilities and building operations, HVAC, some construction, and contractor experience useful.
- Personal Protective Equipment – Use, assessment, and evaluation of client’s ability to wear and use PPE.
- Basic radiation safety – ionizing, non-ionizing
- General understanding and familiarity with mechanical, electrical engineering systems, ability to read and understand basic design drawings (i.e., 2 or 3D CAD).
- Familiarity with general aviation principles.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a physical science field.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Must be diligent with great attention to detail.
- Ability to pass an extensive US government background investigation.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with Paragone's vaccination policy. All employees must be fully vaccinated, and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt Paragone’s vaccination policy.
Paragone Solutions, Inc. is a boutique provider of services to the Department of Defense. We are a process-oriented (i.e. ISO 9001 certified) services company that provides cybersecurity, IT training, and industrial health/occupational safety support services. Founded in 2008, we are a certified woman-owned small business and a SBA certified 8(a) firm. Paragone offers competitive salaries and a relaxed, life-friendly work environment.
Powered by JazzHR
Paragone Solutions, Inc.
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?