Developer Productivity Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the largest provider of educational support, supporting millions of students through partnerships with thousands of school districts. Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Developer Productivity Engineer will be a member of the Development Experience squad, whose objective is to enable software engineers to efficiently build, test and deliver high quality and secure software. The Developer Productivity Engineer will work on projects that improve developer satisfaction and maximize engineering productivity. They will create and maintain an effective toolchain and optimized workflows in the effort to improve the velocity of our software development life cycle. The ideal candidate is an experienced software developer that currently holds the role of a devops developer or a software developer and has a demonstrable track record of delivering cloud-based applications to enterprise-grade customers. They have a passion for leveraging tools to improve efficiency and have experience practicing continuous delivery. They are a good communicator that is comfortable speaking to a diverse audience of software engineers, product designers and product managers. They are able to make data driven decisions to drive their day to day work and act as a mentor for other developers when necessary.
- Develop, configure and ensure operation of continuous integration (CI) and continuous deployment (CD) tools and infrastructure
- Automate and improve development, build, testing and release processes
- Integrate and maintain security tools in the CI/CD pipeline
- Build tools to improve developer experience
- Collaborate across engineering and product teams to achieve a fast feedback cycle and collect reliable and actionable data on software engineer satisfaction and productivity
- Promote good engineering practices and educate development teams on tenets of devops
- Cultivate and promote a learning environment for your team and other individuals
- Propose and execute on initiatives that measurably improve development productivity metrics such as lead time, code deployment frequency, mean time to recovery (MTTR) of applications and change failure rate
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer or devops engineer developing SaaS applications for enterprise-grade customers
- Strong communication skills and demonstrable ability to clearly communicate ideas and technical concepts
- Understanding of technical and process oriented devops capabilities
- Understanding of software design principles such as service oriented architecture
- Understanding of secure software development principles and practices
- Understanding of manual and automated testing principles and techniques
- Experience implementing different layers of the automated test pyramid
- Working knowledge of CI/CD tools like Jenkins, GitHub Actions or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Docker containers, K8s, Packer or equivalent software orchestration and infrastructure tools
- Working knowledge of how to build command line tools
- Experience working with Git version control system
- Experience with cloud infrastructure such as GCP (preferred), AWS or Azure
- Experience working with Linux and/or other Unix-based operating systems
Nice to Have
- Experience in Site Reliability Engineering
- Working knowledge of Infrastructure as Code such as Terraform, Terragrunt, CDK.
- Working knowledge of observability, monitoring and telemetry software such as Datadog, Sentry, Grafana, Prometheus and/or ELK stack
A great place to work! Paper offers a fast-paced, dynamic, inclusive work environment where all employees have an impact. You will be challenged to achieve, develop, and grow as part of a hyper-growth company.
We are naturally curious and have strong attention to detail. We love working in a team environment where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day. If this sounds like the right fit, please apply and come work with us.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
TechnologyView all jobs at Paper