Job location: Northern Nevada/Reno area
Globally, Panasonic is committed to creating a better life and a better world, continuously contributing to the evolution of society and happiness of people around the world.
Locally, with this in mind, Panasonic Energy is making the worlds #1, highest performance and quality battery in a high-volume manufacturing environment. In order to achieve this exciting goal, we are committed to meeting our very strict quality and safety targets.
The General Manager of Production Engineering oversees the development and implementation of manufacturing processes to maintain proper product functionality as well as cost efficiency; ensures the engineering team and other manufacturing departments work together cohesively and is responsible for the development of equipment to aid in the manufacturing process; leads and directs the work of assigned manufacturing engineers and project engineers.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
- Leads the production engineering strategy, goals and objectives for PENA operations and business development
- Provide strategic direction to leadership in production engineering to meet established goals and objectives
- Analyze and design lean manufacturing cells using effective systems and simulation tools to optimize, use of space, equipment, material and personnel.
- Assist in developing plant layout in planning rearrangement of facilities, equipment and operations for better utilization of space.
- Work closely with research and development, quality assurance and maintenance personnel to prevent problems with products and tooling/fixtures.
- Ensure all manufacturing safety regulatory policies and procedures are implemented and maintained at all times.
- Stay informed concerning new manufacturing technologies and equipment in order to manufacture and reduce cost through efficiencies.
- Support all current and new product introductions.
- Ensure vendors/subcontractors are manufacturing products according to product specifications.
- Determine and eliminate root causes and diminish occurrences in the manufacturing process.
- Ensure that all manufacturing product specifications are developed and testing procedures are in place before starting up vendors/subcontractors.
- Able to assist in reducing cost through re-engineering product/material.
- Assist in the assessment of vendor/subcontractor evaluation for consideration.
- Responsible for training vendors/subcontractors on new product launches to meet target date
- Develop high performing team and future leaders by coaching and improving individual capability through performance management systems and processes
- Establish and monitor the team’s performance through KPIs aligned to the organization’s strategic objectives, and at the same time ensuring to company policies
- Facilitate direct report education and training.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, MS and or MBA Preferred with 10 years minimum Manufacturing experience
- Six Sigma Black Belt Preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) including industries such as batteries or electronic devices.
- 7+ years of experience in engineering management role, overseeing the success of a large precision manufacturing team of 100+ members
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record at leading technical personnel
- Excellent strategic planning and project management skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication, interpersonal and functional team building
- Knowledge of 6 Sigma methods and techniques, process control systems, process capability, preventive action, and continuous improvement programs required
- Advanced skills with all MS Office Products, especially Excel and PowerPoint
Style & Personal Attributes
- The General Manager of Production Engineering must be visionary and influential, with an ability to engage internal stakeholders at all levels. Most importantly, the candidate must have a positive attitude and a strong work ethic while also being respectful, friendly, and caring. The General Manager of Production Engineering at Panasonic Energy of North America will be known for the following characteristics:
- Servant Leadership: Firmly believes that the company will be most successful when his/her employees are well served. Caring not just about the business goals, but the well-being of every member of his/her team, as only true success can be achieved through effectively mentoring and enriching the lives of others.
- Ethics and Values: Adhere to a code of conduct with a moral compass focused on the highest level of integrity and ethics; lives by Konosuke Matsushita’s Seven Basic Business Principles: Contribution to Society, Fairness and Honesty, Cooperation and Team Spirit, Untiring Effort for Improvement, Courtesy and Humility, Adaptability, and Gratitude.
- Leading By Example: Demonstrating and fostering, by example, a sense of urgency, strong commitment/accountability, and sound decision making to achieve goals.
- Business Acumen: Knowledge of the competitive landscape and current and emerging practices within the industry.
- Vision and Purpose: Embracing and communicating Panasonic’s vision and its goals and reflecting a dedication to success which inspires and motivates.
- Inspirational: Encouraging and inspiring colleagues and subordinates to stretch beyond what they thought they could accomplish.
- Leadership and Conflict Resolution: Being bold enough to diplomatically state opinions which may not always be popular. Ability to work through controversy turning conflicts into opportunities for improvement and striving for win/win resolutions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.