A Reserve Deputy Sheriff is a commissioned sworn volunteer law enforcement officer who holds a Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certification. Responsible for the protection of life and property and enforcement of laws and ordinances. The position requires considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of police work including: knowledge of first-aid methods, ability to act reasonably without direct supervision, ability to observe situations and analytically and objectively, ability to report and record situations clearly and completely, ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and a demographically diverse public.
• Must meet all Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) requirements.
• Must meet all PBSO requirements specified in the online assessment.
• 21 years of age
• High School Graduate or GED
• Able to perform the essential functions of the job for which applying with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Internal Candidates - Achieved satisfactory evaluations and favorably completed at least one year of employment unless position is designation by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office as a critical need position at the time of application.
• Possess a valid Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one.
• Must present proof of automobile insurance upon offer of employment, free from “at fault” accidents or convictions for violation(s) of traffic law to include adjudication withheld for the past twelve (12) months. A good driving record will include no Driver’s License suspensions in the past three (3) years.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Candidate applying for this position must be willing and able to successfully complete the following:
* High Liability Training (Guns & Sticks) for 12 weeks, this schedule is flexible, but will be day shift only.
* Field Training (FTO) for 13 weeks. This training schedule is flexible and will consist of day and night shifts.
* Generally Reserve Officers are required to serve 16 - hours per month (4-hrs credit for attending a bi-monthly meeting). Flexible scheduling of hours is permissible to accommodate monthly requirements.
SELECTION PROCESS: Failure to successfully pass any of the steps specified below will result in applicant disqualification. Review of prior employment records will be conducted.
SCREENING OF APPLICATION - Ensures each candidate meets our agency's minimum requirements and standards.
INTAKE OF DOCUMENTS
CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT
MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND DRUG SCREENING
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION – In accordance with Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) standards.
FINAL OFFER OF EMPLOYEMENT –
Applicant with disability who require accommodation within the application/interview process should direct a request in advance to Human Resources.
EQUIVALENCY OF TRAINING (*cost to be covered by applicant):
The equivalency of Training (EOT) process is for Out of State Federal Officers and previously certified Florida Officers with a four year or more break-in-service pursuant to section 943.131(2), Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) 11B-35.009(4)(5).
The EOT allows an officer to be exempt from having to complete the full basic recruit academy. You may be eligible if you were an officer in another state, with a federal government agency or military police and meet the following requirements:
* At least one year as a full-time sworn officer in the discipline you are seeking exemption;
* Received training in that discipline which is comparable to Florida's full basic recruit curriculum and/or;
* You were previously certified in the State of Florida.
SELECTION PROCESS: All offers of employment to external applicants and internal part-time to full-time or civilian to sworn candidates are also subject to and contingent upon successful completion of the CVSA/polygraph, background investigation, pre-employment physical examination and drug screening.
Applicants with a disability who require accommodation within the application/interview process should direct a request in advance to Human Resources.
DATE, TIME, AND LOCATION: Testing, when required, will be conducted in Human Resources at a date and time to be announced. The date, times, and location of the interview process to be announced, in writing, by the hiring division.
Civilian and Non Specialty Units - An Eligibility list will be produced in alphabetical order based on a pass/fail process with a passing score that equals 60 points.
Specialty Units - The Specialty Unit Commander and/or his/her designee shall interview the candidate(s) and make a selection recommendation to the Sheriff, except that, at his discretion, the Sheriff may elect to interview candidates for Section, Unit for Division Commander and make the selection directly.
SELECTION/DURATION OF ELIGIBILITY LIST:
Civilian and Non Specialty Units - An Eligibility list generally has a life of one year or until exhausted, whichever is sooner, based on the date Human Resources certifies it is effective. The commander may select any qualified candidate appearing on the list for the vacant position. After filling a vacancy from the eligibility list, the commander may allow the remainder of the list expire or repost any future vacant positions.
Specialty Units - An eligibility list shall be established which will remain in effect for one (1) year; however, the Sheriff or his designee may sunset the list when only one candidate remains and repost any future vacant positions.
REVIEW AND APPEAL PROCESS: An appeal of a decision, scoring error, or test results shall be made in writing to the Human Resources Division Manager or designee within seven (7) calendar days after the release of any score or decision that eliminated the candidate from the process, or affected the candidate's score. This appeal process is the only method to appeal these matters and is available to internal PBSO applicants exclusively.
How To Apply: www.pbso.org
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Veterans' Preference to be requested at time application is submitted