- $27 to $31 Hourly
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
At Pacific Seafood, we do more than just provide the world with the healthiest proteins on the planet. We are a family-owned business that is committed to the personal and professional growth of our team members, where we create opportunities for advancement and reward individual initiative and innovation. As a leader in the seafood industry, we know that the key to our success is investing in our people and inspiring our shared commitment to the core values of our Diamond Philosophy: Productivity, Quality, Excellence, and Teamwork.
Under the direction of the Fish Health Manager, work in conjunction with Fish Health Technicians to rapidly assess fish and proactively diagnose to execute all aspects of the Fish Health Plan at our Aquaculture hatcheries and farm. This position oversees the day-to-day molecular components of the fish health laboratory for the steelhead division.
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) at all times.
- Communicate fish health issues to team members of all skill levels to create effective change.
- Assist Fish Health Lab Manager with lab oversight helping to direct work to Microbiologists I and Fish Health Technicians.
- Be knowledgeable on common fish diseases, water quality, and life support operations.
- Perform a wide range of sophisticated assays and wet bench techniques of cell biology, bacteriology, molecular biology, genetics, and genomics, including DNA and RNA preparation, PCR amplification, 16-s sequencing, gene expression studies and analysis.
- Be the point of contact within fish health for molecular questions and projects.
- Oversee and assist with data collection of samples, help with sample preparation and coordinate sample submission to external testing laboratories.
- Review and interpret laboratory results, maintain accurate records, and provide reports. Utilize specialized knowledge to interpret results, e.g., reading controls, evaluate results.
- Coordinate and assist with bacteria isolate collection to be used in conjunction with vaccine research and vaccine updates for production use.
- Categorize mortality to identify diseases based upon external and internal clinical signs. This becomes imperative follow-up in developing vaccines. Be the leader for on-site knowledge and change making with vaccine management.
- Provide basic microscopic skills to make and stain slides and identify bacterial and parasite agents.
- Perform or oversee regular and standardization of all lab equipment and lab facilities.
- Apply for any pertinent laboratory license applications and renewals.
- Stay current on current rainbow trout research and industry knowledge as pertaining to laboratory techniques.
- Assist with SOPs development as needed for laboratory protocols and procedures.
- Assist with maintaining precise records on fish production and educate other team members on fish health biology.
- Establish and maintain best aquaculture practices to prevent fish health disease introduction and spread.
- As needed, make plates for bacterial isolation, antimicrobial sensitivities, and glycerol stocks, wash necropsy tools and sterilize/autoclave equipment for next uses.
- Supervise biological technician’s laboratory work to evaluate the accuracy of their results.
- Be comfortable making decisions in a changing environment.
- Remain up to date with scientific and research developments.
- Maintain good communication and working relationships with contracted Aquatic Veterinarians and contracted laboratories.
- Assist with maintaining the fish health records to accurately track and manage projects, fish health reports and transfer/importation permits.
- Assist with various research projects in conjunction with other company divisions, National Center for Cool & Coldwater Aquaculture (NCCCWA), Western Fisheries Research Center (WFRC) and others. Immaculate attention to detail is required for projects with these collaborators as results will be published.
- Train students and interns regarding lab and farm safety, sample preparation, and standard operating procedures for the molecular laboratory.
- Ability to train and develop both technical and non-technical employees.
- Perform other Animal Health and Farm Operations duties as assigned.
What You Bring to Pacific Seafood:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in microbiology or fisheries microbiology.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience specific in a fish health laboratory.
- A valid State of Washington driver license is required.
- WA State boaters license (can be obtained with 90 days of hire).
- Ability to perform fieldwork and collect samples as needed.
- Knowledge of fish anatomy and ability to complete necropsy procedures.
- Ability to perform DNA Extractions (from bacteria and tissue), purifications and amplifications.
- Computer proficiency, experience using MS Word and Excel.
- Meticulous and an eye for detail.
- Ability to problem solve and provide solutions under minimal supervision.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in microbiology or fisheries microbiology.
- 4 or more years of work experience specific in a fish health laboratory.
Salary Range: $27.00 - $31.00 Hourly
At Pacific Seafood, your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. We invest in our Team Members through a comprehensive and attractive total rewards package, including but not limited to:
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short term disability.
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses.
- 401(k) Retirement Plan options with generous annual company profit sharing match.
- Paid time off for all regular FT team members, to include paid sick, vacation, holiday, and personal time.
- Employee Assistance Program- Confidential professional counseling, financial, and legal assistance provided at no charge to Team Members and immediate family members
- Product purchase program.
Pacific Seafood is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Powered by JazzHR
Pacific SeafoodNespelem, WA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.