Fish Health Technician I
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
At Pacific Seafood, we do more than just provide the world with the healthiest proteins on the planet. We cultivate a work environment that listens to our team members, nurtures potential, embraces diversity, and values innovative thinking. As a leader in the seafood industry, we know that the key to our success is based on the commitment to excellence displayed by each of our team members.
Under the direction of the Fish Health Manager, work in conjunction with Microbiologist to maintain and execute all aspects of the Fish Health Plan at our Aquaculture hatcheries and farm. This position oversees is a combination of field sampling and molecular laboratory time.
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) at all times.
- Be able to communicate fish health issues to team members of all skill levels to create effective change.
- Be knowledgeable on common fish diseases, water quality, and life support operations.
- Perform a wide range of sophisticated assays and wet bench techniques of cell biology, bacteriology, molecular biology, genetics, and genomics, including DNA and RNA preparation, PCR amplification, 16-s sequencing, gene expression studies and analysis.
- Assist with data collection of samples, help with sample preparation and when necessary, coordinate sample submission to external testing laboratories.
- Review and interpret laboratory results, maintain accurate records, and provide reports. Utilize specialized knowledge to interpret results, e.g., reading controls, evaluate results.
- Assist with bacterial isolate collection to be used in conjunction with vaccine research and vaccine updates for production use.
- Provide basic microscopic skills to make and stain slides and identify bacterial and parasite agents.
- Make plates for bacterial isolation, antimicrobial sensitivities, and glycerol stocks.
- Wash necropsy tools and sterilize/autoclave equipment for next uses.
- Inventory laboratory supplies weekly and report to Fish Health Manager/Microbiologist ordering needs.
- Assist with regular and standardization of all lab equipment and lab facilities.
- Assist with maintaining precise records on fish production and educate other team members on fish health biology.
- Assist with best aquaculture practices to prevent fish health disease introduction and spread.
- Be comfortable making decisions in a changing environment.
- Maintain good communication and working relationships with contracted Aquatic Veterinarians and contracted laboratories.
- Assist with maintaining the fish health records to accurately track and manage projects, fish health reports and transfer/importation permits.
- Assist with various research projects in conjunction with other company divisions, National Center for Cool & Coldwater Aquaculture (NCCCWA), Western Fisheries Research Center (WFRC) and others. Immaculate attention to detail is required for projects with these collaborators as results will be published.
- Perform other Animal Health and Farm Operations duties as assigned.
What you bring to Pacific Seafood:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in fisheries biology, or related aquaculture study.
- A valid State of Washington driver license is required.
- WA State boaters license (can be obtained with 90 days of hire).
- Ability to perform fieldwork and collect samples as needed.
- Knowledge of fish anatomy and ability to complete necropsy procedures.
- Computer proficiency, experience using MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to problem solve and provide solutions under minimal supervision.
- Prior boat experience and possess a WA State boaters license.
- Experience in a molecular laboratory.
Pay Range: $18.14 - $20.32
At Pacific Seafood, your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. We invest in our Team Members through a comprehensive and attractive total rewards package, including but not limited to:
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) retirement plan options with generous annual company profit sharing match
- Paid time-off for all regular FT team members to include sick days, paid holidays, vacation, and personal time
- Employee assistance program providing confidential professional counseling, financial and legal assistance at no charge to team members and immediate family members
- Product purchase program
Pacific Seafood is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Powered by JazzHR
Pacific SeafoodNespelem, WA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.