Part-time Crisis Worker Chat Line
PRS Inc. Oakton, VA
- Posted: over a month ago
We are seeking Part-time Crisis Workers-Chatline to respond to local and national crisis hotline calls, text messages and online chats. Crisis Workers respond empathically to crisis calls, texts, and chats using an evidence-based model of active-listening and risk assessment to support community members confidentially. Crisis Workers are trained to provide people in crisis with a safe space for listening, referrals to resources, and provide emergency active rescue or intervention if necessary.
FAQs regarding the Crisis Worker position:
- What are the shift times? Our 24/7 operations schedule runs like a first responder or hospital. Shift is: 8:00PM-4:30AM. Work week includes weekdays, weekends, and some holidays.
- Do I get to choose my schedule? Part-Time employees work 2-3 days a week. Your weekly scheduled will be shift time 8:30pm 4:30am determined by the Operations Manager and Shift Supervisors and given out 2 weeks in advance. While we try to work with employee's schedules, but flexibility in the days you can work is needed. As first responders, we cannot always predict when the volume of calls will change, and we need some level of flexibility with our employees.
- How much does the job pay? We pay a competitive starting hourly wage of $16.50 - $17.50 per hour, more depending on related experience and education.
- Where do we work? Currently, all our services are being provided remotely due to COVID-19. We can train, monitor via Zoom and take calls via our cloud phone system.
- What kind of training is provided? We are first responders, so the training is intense. You will work through online training modules, through an over 200-page training manual and through live training sessions with a Supervisor. We mix all learning styles from reading, watching, and doing. You will listen to live calls and role play with our trainers before you ever take a call. Once you complete training, you'll be working one on one with a trainer for the first several shifts. Our trainers can hear you and the caller and provide chat assistance and debrief every call.
- How many other people will I be working with? On any given shift there are 2-5 staff. Shift Supervisors and additional Support staff are available to help through our stagnant Zoom meeting session which is open 24/7 and all workers are required to log in to.
- What kinds of calls/chats do you receive? Individuals going through any type of emotional or mental health crisis, including experiencing suicidal thoughts / ideation, depression, trauma, sexual violence, can use the chat service. Our service is open to anyone who needs us and every call is a little bit different. Currently, many calls are about COVID-19 and the social isolation.
- Do I need related experience or receive training? Previous experience is not required. We offer extensive training for a total of about 60 hours.
- What characteristics do I need to be successful in this job? The most successful Crisis Workers demonstrate a sincere desire to help people in crisis either because of their own life experiences or the experiences of people they care about. Empathy, flexibility in thought, self-awareness and boundaries are critical characteristics and skills a Crisis Worker must have. Additionally, we have observed that Crisis Workers with strong distress tolerance and healthy coping skills are able to work in this environment. We use a person-centered and strengths-based approach with our clients and with our Crisis Workers and we encourage our team to constantly learn and grow.
"Changing Lives. Saving Lives."
PRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
HealthcareView all jobs at PRS Inc.