Medical Assistant, Berwyn, IL - Job Details | Indeed.com
Responsibilities and Duties
- Escorts patients to examination rooms and performs initial patient assessment by obtaining vital signs, medical history and recording in patients’ medical record.
- Observes patients’ response to treatments and/or medications and reports any adverse reactions to medical personnel in charge.
- Administers specified medication, orally or by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, and notes time, amount and site in patients’ medical record.
- Provides limited instruction to patients regarding treatments, special diets, etc., as directed by physician.
- Collects samples such as urine, blood, and sputum, from patients for testing and performs routine laboratory tests on samples.
- Maintains accurate records and reports recording pertinent information regarding patient’s condition, medication given, treatment administered, etc.
- Refills prescriptions through appropriate pharmacies.
- Follows patients’ progress through call backs regarding tests results such as laboratory, radiology, etc., working Nurses Desktop.
- Triages patient calls and assists with scheduling appointments and performs related clerical duties.
- Assembles and/or operates such equipment as nebulizers, oxygen supplies, EKG, Ultrasound, Vision, Hearing, DINAMAP and DXA machines when providing patient care.
- Sterilizes equipment and supplies according to established procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality related to the patient and the patients’ medical record.
Qualifications and Skills
- The ability to run routine lab tests, EKG’s and Ultrasounds, DXA Scans and QA on DXA machine, Hearing Screenings, Vision Screenings and DINAMAP.
- The interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with patients and medical staff.
- The clerical aptitude required to maintain patient charts, answer telephones, prepare patient charges, etc.
- The technical and medical training normally equivalent to one year of formal instruction from an accredited technical school which would develop skills in basic patient treatment assistance, taking of vital signs, running routine lab tests, drawing blood, etc.
- One to three months of on-the-job training.
- Current CPR certification.