Principal Database Developer
The Principal Database Developer works with the Director, Enterprise Business Systems on database and data-related projects. All work is managed and assigned through a combination of service tickets and project deliverables. The incumbent's responsibilities include database design, master data management, data governance, performance tuning, and use of Microsoft SQL Integration, Reporting and Analysis Services.
He/she has extensive knowledge of Microsoft SQL and an understanding of database design principles as well as mastering of XML and data integration principles.
The incumbent possesses excellent communication and problem solving skills and functions as an effective team member.
Database Design Principles
- The incumbent is proficient in database design principles and is able to implement structural database changes based on provided business requirements.
- He/she has knowledge of data cleansing procedures and is able to write data cleansing scripts. The incumbent is responsible for writing all database scripts based on assigned work and reviewing them with their peers as necessary.
- The incumbent has knowledge of creating database model diagrams and is familiar with data modeling tools.
Microsoft SQL Development
- The incumbent is proficient in creating logical and physical database models based on provided business requirements. He/she has in-depth knowledge of Microsoft SQL programming language.
- The incumbent is proficient in creating tables, stored procedures, views, user defined functions, constrains and triggers. He/she has knowledge of XML and XSLT and how those relate to integration processes. XML work includes data transformation and integration processes between enterprise systems.
Data Management and Governance
- The incumbent becomes a data expert in our internal systems. He/she works as part of the team to come up with processes and procedures for data cleansing and deduplication. He/she is also able to answer data-related questions from business staff and other members of the technical team.
- He/she has an understanding of master data management and data governance processes and how those apply
- The incumbent is knowledgeable in performance tuning of SQL objects. He/she understands how to perform tuning activities and works with the Operations team on performance issues. The activities include running SQL performance monitoring tools, creating proper table indexes, documenting and implementing changes to SQL stored procedures and processes.
SQL Server, Analysis, Reporting and Integration Services HIGHLY PREFERRED
- The ideal incumbent has knowledge of SSAS, SSRS and SSIS services. He/she is able to maintain and enhance data warehouses, use integration services for data migrations and synchronization and has knowledge of using analysis services to design and implement business intelligence cubes.
- The incumbent works with Director, Enterprise Business Systems and other technical staff to implement business requirements. He/s she manages work through Service-Now and Jira. The work includes understanding business requirements or issues and communication to business staff on technical questions.
- The incumbent works as part of the Enterprise Business Systems team and can provide technical assistance by doing code and script review with other members of the team.
- He/she has good communication skills and is able to explain technical issues in a non-technical manner.
- Proficient in developing and designing databases, applications and interactivity between the two
- Proficient in T-SQL and advances query techniques
- Proficient in performance tuning
Advanced knowledge of
- T-SQL, Stored Procedures and User Defined Functions
- Handling Errors
- Database Creation and Design
- Constraints and Triggers
- Working with XML Data
- Integration, Analysis and Reporting Services
- Master Data Management
- Azure SQL
A bachelor's degree or equivalent additional experience in the field of computer science is required. Five years of database modeling and database development in Microsoft SQL Server is required. A good candidate should be familiar with latest versions of Microsoft SQL server and Azure SQL.
A minimum of six years of SQL Server Reporting Services or equivalent enterprise reporting platform is required.
Knowledge of Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics suite or Association Management Systems is preferred.
Good communication and deductive reasoning skills are essential, as is the ability to document/diagram findings and processes in the industry-standard Unified Modeling Language.