Staff Attorney - Disability Advocacy
PRC San Francisco, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
***NOTE: Please submit a cover letter to be considered for the role***
PRC is a community-based 501(c)(3) non-profit whose mission is to help people affected by HIV/AIDS, substance use, or mental health issues better realize opportunities by providing integrated legal, social, and health services that address the broad range of social risk factors that impact wellness and limit potential.
PRC’s services address the critical issues of housing, employment, and lack of economic opportunity that affect thousands of San Franciscans. Serving over 5,400 clients annually, PRC helps move clients from crisis to stability and wellness.
PRC is the only organization in San Francisco that provides legal advocacy for public benefits (SSI/SSDI, CAPI, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.), emergency financial assistance, workforce development, and residential behavioral health treatment all under one roof.
Job Title: Staff Attorney – Disability Advocacy
PRC seeks a Staff Attorney to join its Disability Advocacy program, providing direct representation to low-income individuals in accessing Social Security disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI).
Through your work at PRC, you will join a collegial work environment where you will advocate for the needs of San Francisco residents to access critical benefits to reduce homelessness and improve economic stability; represent clients in all stages of administrative proceedings related to the public benefits claims; learn about community resources and collaborate with community partners including county, state and federal agencies and community clinics; work with a wide variety of San Francisco residents including members of the LGBTQIA+ community, people with psychiatric disabilities, people of color, people experiencing homelessness, and criminal justice involved individuals; and have the opportunity to provide trainings on federal benefits issues to clients and community partners.
The Staff Attorney provides legal representation to low-income individuals living with HIV and /or mental health issues to secure disability income and health insurance benefits. Additional populations served include LGBTQ, homeless and/or at risk of homelessness, non-English speaking, and other at-risk communities.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Assessment: Performs individual assessment of needs related to public disability benefits and healthcare access. Helps identify and assist in breaking barriers to benefits, including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)/Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medi-Cal, Medicare, private insurance through Covered California, AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP), etc. Works with clients using a Harm Reduction approach.
- Benefits Advocacy: Provides direct legal assistance and representation to clients. Helps clients apply for public disability benefits such as SSI, SSDI, and CAPI as well as address other health insurance and related issues including Medicare and Medi-Cal. Advocates for clients throughout the claims process, negotiating with SSA and disability analysts as needed. Develops/obtains supporting medical evidence. Files appeals and appropriate paperwork.
- Hearings: Prepares cases for appeal and appears before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals. Files documents for appeals process. Develops/obtains supporting evidence. Performs legal research. Writes pre- and post-hearing legal briefs. Prepares clients for testimony. Prepares questions for cross-examination of expert witnesses. Appeals unfavorable decisions to Appeals Council or other appellate bodies.
- File Management: Creates and maintains confidential client files detailing documents and laws/policies reviewed, correspondence prepared on behalf of the client, and case progress. Updates and maintains client records in case management and billing database.
- Training: Provides consumer and provider trainings/outreach as requested.
- Special Projects: Assists with special projects as assigned.
· Active member of the California State Bar required.
· Two (2) years of public benefits or healthcare advocacy experience preferred.
· Ability in maintaining computer databases on a regular basis with minimal supervision.
· Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits (SSI, SSDI, OA-HIPP, ADAP, Covered California, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.) preferred.
· Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBTQIA+ community essential.
· Ability to work effectively with service providers.
· Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
· Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
Full-time exempt position. Competitive salary plus medical, dental, long term disability, life insurance, employer matching contributions to 403(b) retirement, generous paid time-off, Bar dues, and professional development.
People living with HIV/AIDS or other disabilities, people of color and people who are bilingual/bicultural are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRCWhy Work Here?
We move people forward!
Our mission is to help people affected by HIV/AIDS, substance use, or mental health issues better realize opportunities by providing integrated legal, social, and health services that address the broad range of social risk factors that impact wellness and limit potential.
170 9th Street San Francisco CASan Francisco, CA