The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for overseeing the direction of the kitchen's daily activities in accordance with Spectra policies and objectives to ensure guest satisfaction, profitability and a positive, productive and compliant work environment. The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for the effective management and operation of the culinary team including event planning support, scheduling, food preparation and production, food cost control, compliance with food safety and sanitation policies, cleaning, kitchen safety, employee training and supervision, and any other tasks assigned by the F&B Director. The Executive Sous Chef must provide a high level of oversight, culinary proficiency and operational/personnel support to ensure the smooth running all food outlets and events.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The Executive Sous Chef must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills and self-direction required.
This position is based at the Gaillard Performing Arts Center in downtown Charleston SC. The venue is comprised of a 15,000 square ft ballroom that does events up to 1,000 people. The performing arts center has a capacity of 1,800 people and has private box tier service. The center has a small cafe that is open for breakfast and lunch and for performances. This is a upscale food venue with many high profile events, conferences, and weddings. The guests and clients are food educated and have high expectations.
- Ensure budgeted food percentages are achieved through effective control measures including portion controls, kitchen timing, food inventory rotation measures, receiving and food storage procedures, inventory controls, effective purchasing procedures, kitchen security procedures and waste control.
- Maintain Labor Cost Percentages at budgeted levels.
- Ensures that the purchasing and preparation of all food products meet Spectra' standards of quality and consistency. Responsible for the development of menus, ensuring quality, consistency and style of concept are maintained. Monitors production of food preparation ensuring recipe specifications, portion controls and kitchen timings are met. Monitors all food served relative to appearance, temperature, sanitary and quality standards.
- Supervise all set up, preparation and breakdown of culinary activities.
- Coordinate the storage, maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Coordinate the delivery and set-up of catered services and food services as needed.
- Training and development of kitchen staff skills and ongoing training of current and new staff.
- Maintain a positive and compliant employee relations climate. Responsible for staffing, training, evaluation and counseling of kitchen staff.
- Ensure compliance to health and sanitation and safety regulations.
- Assist F&B Director in recordkeeping and administration requirements to include work schedules, production lists and HAACP records.
- Promote teamwork among staff through effective communication, follow through and goal setting.
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients.
- Minimum of 2-3 years kitchen management experience in high-volume operation.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Training from a professional technical school, two or four year college, or special culinary school.
- Maintain current certification in a state recognized Food Handlers and sanitation program, and alcohol service permit if required by state or local government
- Experience in culinary training-including menu planning, food preparation, and selection and storage of food.
- Basic computer proficiency and Microsoft products knowledge, to include: Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Technical proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, nights weekends, extended (long) work days and extended number of days.
- Ability to develop results oriented staff through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling.
- Ability to positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Ability to recognize problems and to creatively and expeditiously find solutions.
- Must be self- directed.
- Must be able to supervise, coach, schedule and train employees.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be sure that all details of the job are performe