PBS Engineering and Environmental Inc. (PBS) is a regionally distinguished and growing engineering and environmental consulting firm in Oregon and Washington. Founded in 1982, our 250-person firm has a history of successfully serving major clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
As a leader in providing consulting engineering services in the Northwest, we are currently seeking a qualified individual for the following open position in our Portland, Oregon office:
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING INTERN
Our Geotechnical Intern will provide professional engineering support with analysis and project execution, and, with guidance, manages geotechnical projects including field exploration programs, construction observation services, and geotechnical laboratory testing. You can expect to spend a significant portion of your time in the field on projects, both big and small, allowing you to develop a broad understanding of soil conditions and how that relates to construction. You will also be involved in completing geotechnical analyses, including slope stability, liquefaction, retaining walls, and shallow and deep foundations. The results of your analyses will be summarized in geotechnical engineering reports you help prepare.
- Serve as a project team member accomplishing tasks coordinated by the Project Manager and Discipline Lead.
- Geotechnical field exploration and sample collection;
- Geotechnical laboratory testing;
- Geotechnical engineering calculations and analyses;
- Geotechnical report writing;
- Geotechnical construction monitoring and testing;
- Exercises judgment and seek alternative solutions to adapt, as necessary, when unanticipated circumstances arise.
- BS in Civil Engineering required; pursuing an MS in Geotechnical Engineering preferred
- 0-2 years of experience
- Engineer in Training (EIT) preferred
- Experience with soil and rock classification, field exploration procedures and methods, earthwork and pavement construction observation, nuclear density testing, and laboratory testing procedures.
- A team attitude and the ability to interact well with internal staff, and project teams that will include other consultants, contractors, and clients
PBS has offices across the Pacific Northwest. We are committed to fostering a work environment that is conducive to the personal and professional growth of each employee. This is accomplished through a company philosophy that combines teamwork, open communication, and diverse projects. Many of our projects involve several consultants and contractors, requiring a collaborative team effort. We pride ourselves on our project management approach and experience. The geotechnical engineering group is a close, tight-knit group of engineers and geologists that enjoy what they do and working together.
PBS offers mileage-based reimbursement for the use of personal vehicles. For positions requiring transportation, use of a personal vehicle may be required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Do you meet the qualifications above? Apply for this position via our website!
No phone calls or direct emails, please.