Life Sciences Research Associate - Aging and Stem Cell Biology
PAVIR Palo Alto, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) has a fantastic career opportunity for a Research Associate to join the Rando Laboratory to design, implement, and lead research in basic stem cell biology and the biology of aging.
The Rando laboratory is a part of the Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging and the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as the Rehab R&D Center of Excellence at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. The laboratory is associated with the Stanford Center on Longevity.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Associate will work in collaboration with the Principal Investigator, Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D., and other talented research staff. Dr. Rando is a Professor or Neurology at Stanford University and Chief of Neurology at the Palo Alto VA Medical Center.
The Research Associate will contribute to the development and implementation of cutting-edge technologies in single cell analyses, imaging, and genetic mouse models.
We are looking for someone with a Ph.D. in a related discipline and preferably with the expertise in computational biology and bioinformatics.
This is a full-time position, located in Palo Alto, CA. Position will be 100% on-site after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 13 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities.
At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures involving rodents (mice), animal tissue, and cells.
- Collaborate with the PI on the design and execution of laboratory experiments; Serve as the main contact for experiments.
- Develop and validate experimental protocols.
- Analyze data from experiments.
- Prepare charts for presentations and publication.
- Write papers on projects for publication.
- Perform general lab organization.
- Guide and train lab technicians.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
- Ph.D. degree;
- At least 3 years of prior research experience in biology, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline;
- Desired - 3 years of experience working with mice, rats, and writing protocols; Expertise in computational biology and bioinformatics;
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in general lab skills such as micro-pipeting, PCR analysis, genomic and plasmid DNA preparation, protein measurements, and tissue homogenization;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research. PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
AddressPalo Alto, CA