Life Sciences Research Assistant I - Stem cells research
PAVIR Palo Alto, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Assistant to support mouse studies by assessing the role in stem cell aging and degeneration under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI), Dr. Jian Luo.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development Training
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Assist with general wet lab work including culturing of cell lines, immunoblotting, and immunohistochemistry;
- Carry out surgical procedures including injections in mice;
- Carry out behavioral tests;
- Collect blood and tissue for analysis;
- Maintain a mouse colony including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping;
- Analyze data and report findings;
- Present data at lab meetings;
- Regularly document results and findings of experiments;
- Assist with developing new research tools and methods;
- Assist with other duties as needed.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Biology, Neurology, Chemistry, Physics or in a related field is required.
- Required: 1-2 years of related experience:
- Experience with rodent handling, including perfusions, tissue collection and/or behavioral tests;
- Experience with mammalian cell cultures, growth and survival assays, immunoassays, PCR, and/or si/shRNA techniques.
- Desired: 3 or more years of related experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Experience with molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques;
- Ability to work independently and proactively with limited supervision;
- Basic understanding of animal physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 10 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to a wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro