The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Assistant to support a funded DOD CDMRP grant that tests the efficacy of repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) to improve memory function in older adults with brain injury in a randomized clinical trial (RCT).
About This Role:
Duties include recruiting subjects, using rTMS machine to stimulate designated area of the brain in the RCT after being trained by a professional, entering data in study databases, administering neuropsychological and neurophysiological testing, assisting with data analysis, and other duties associated with the study under the direct supervision by the Principal Investigator - Dr. Maheen Adamson.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance - paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development Training
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Administer Testing:
- Use rTMS machine to stimulate designated area of the brain in the RCT during the treatment period, after being trained by a professional.
- Recruit and screen research participants:
- Recruit, screen, enroll patients, and obtain consent forms;
- Administer neuropsychological tests, questionnaires, and collect medical information according to the study protocols;
- Assist in Study Coordination:
- Plan, coordinate, and carry out research activities related to project;
- Schedule study procedures, which may include EEG, MRI brain scan, PET scans, physician assessment, electrocardiogram (ECG), blood draw, and lumbar puncture;
- Coordinate schedules with members of research team.
- Handle study correspondence;
- Maintain participants study binders, progress notes, and study logs.
- Collect and enter data in databases:
- Monitor the data collection process against protocols;
- Assist with database entry; Accurately score and enter neuropsychological scores according to defined protocols;
- Maintain project databases and documentation;
- Establish procedure manuals for data collection protocols;
- Prepare periodic reports detailing the progress of data collection efforts; train and coordinate student volunteers.
- Assist with brain scans:
- Accompany student volunteers and patients to PET and MRI centers;
- Coordinate and assist in pre-scan safety screening for participant's safety, comfort and for research integrity.
- Facilitate collection of blood and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers:
- Accompany study volunteers to clinical research unit for yearly blood draws and for biennial lumbar punctures performed by the study physician.
- Handle human specimens including tubes of blood, CSF, and screening urine sample.
- Package and ship samples for processing per the research protocol;
- Provide general clerical assistance when needed, e.g. answer phones, greet subjects; photocopy study forms.
- Required: Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in Human Biology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Psychology or a related field;
- Desired: Master's Degree in Human Biology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Psychology, or a related field.
- Required: at least 6 months of related experience; Previous experience with subject recruitment in a research environment;
- Desired: 1 year or more of related experience. Clinical Trial experience desired.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Highly reliable with demonstrated organizational ability;
- Accurate record keeping and attention to detail;
- Experience with elderly, cognitively impaired, anxious, and/or difficult subjects highly desired;
- Research experience in psychological test administration highly desired;
- Research experience in clinical trials desired;
- Some knowledge of neuroscience is desired;
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience;
- Ability to understand and follow VA regulations and procedures regarding research;
- Knowledge of medical terms and abbreviations relevant to obtaining and coding medical history desired;
- Exposure to brain imaging modalities desired;
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing;
- Basic math/statistical skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel;
- Experience in database management or experience using statistical programs desired;
- Familiarity with PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro and Endnote desired.
Physical Demands: Frequently stand, walk, and sit to perform desk-based computer tasks; meet with study subjects. Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time. Occasionally lift, carry, push, pull objects that weigh up to 15 lbs. Will encounter occasional patients who are anxious, forgetful and/or difficult.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to office and hospital/clinical environment. Exposure to office and imaging (i.e. MRI and PET centers) equipment. Some exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro