Peer Support Specialist - Veteran Services (JR 2958)
- Posted: over a month ago
- $22 to $26 Hourly
Since its foundation in 1984, PATH (People Assisting The Homeless) has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation and placement assistance, individualized case management, supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive housing.
Peer Support Specialist – VASH
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Salary: $21.64 to $26.44/hr DOE
PATH is eagerly seeking certified Peer Support Specialists to join our West LA Veteran Services department.
Our Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Program works to promote housing stability among very low-income Veteran individuals or families who are experiencing or at imminent risk of homelessness.
WHAT IS A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
The Peer Support Specialist plays an integral role of our VASH programs. As an experienced social worker, the Peer Support Specialist provides guidance, linkage, and supportive services to Veterans who are experiencing homelessness. Responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist include:
- Providing field-based services including, but not limited to:
- Resource linkage
- Assistance with obtaining documentation
- Initial assessments
- Community integration
- Assistance with benefits establishment
- Linkage to community providers for substance abuse and primary and mental healthcare
- Providing strengths-based service coordination focused on assisting clients with obtaining and maintaining stable housing
- Developing and establishing positive rapport with clients to assist them with their long- and short-term goals
- Providing on-going support to assess progress and ensure goals are met or adjusted as necessary
- Providing crisis intervention services focused on enhancing the client's ability to independently problem solve, utilize effective coping skills and manage and coordinate own care
- Completing and maintaining documentation according to PATH and contractual standards
WHAT YOU BRING
We're looking for candidates that:
- Maintain and execute confidential information according to HIPAA standards
- Demonstrate knowledge or experienced with outreach techniques including critical time intervention, harm reduction strategies, crisis intervention techniques and motivational interviewing
- Have HMIS experienced (preferred)
- Possess a high level of tolerance and understanding for individuals with urgent and multiple case management and health needs
- Work just as well independently as they do on a team
- Exercise mature judgement, and are highly motivated, self-starting and proactive
- Are excellent at communicating, whether in writing or verbally
- Have a strong sense of prioritization and can coordinate multiple demands in a high-pressure environment
For this role the Peer Support Specialist must:
- Be a certified Peer Specialist – Veterans Peer Specialist preferred
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid training
- Provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Have reliable transportation and:
- A valid driver's license
- Auto Insurance
- The ability to qualify for PATH insurance coverage
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
Driving is an essential function of this position. To meet the employment requirements for this role, all candidates must:
- Have reliable transportation
- A valid driver's license
- Proof of insurance and ownership for personal vehicles used during work duties
- The ability to qualify for PATH's insurance coverage
Effective 11/01/2021 PATH will require all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of full vaccination as part of the pre-employment credentialing process.
PATH is a California employer. Therefore, all regular and customary work must be performed within the state. Approval for work outside of the office, does not establish approval for work to be conducted outside of California.
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to a rewarding work environment, we offer our employees a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, and a retirement plan.
READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH ACTION?
If this position sounds like a fit, please submit your application today. A resume is required.
PATH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PATH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
PATH will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
PATH is dedicated to racial and social justice by centering equity in our service delivery and maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment for the communities we serve. We seek awareness and insight from witnessing the stories of our clients and learning from the experiences of our staff to ensure impactful systems change. If people are empowered, they can bring their authentic, whole selves to work and when people feel like they belong, they can become part of a unified effort of ending homelessness for all.
PATH (People Assisting the Homeless)
AddressLos Angeles, CA
EducationView all jobs at PATH (People Assisting the Homeless)
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?