Supports the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC). Electricians will perform electrical maintenance or construction work, or any combination thereof, under the supervision of the Electrician Foreman or PM Coordinator. Tasking is based on employee’s prior work experience and ASC schedule requirements.
GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
• Install branch circuits, power distribution wiring, electrical equipment, fixtures, and conduit in compliance with the National Electric Code (NEC)
• Diagnose, repair, and perform scheduled Preventative Maintenance on existing electrical systems, equipment, fixtures, and infrastructure
• Follow ASC Electrical Safety Program and promote electrical safety throughout the United States Antarctic Program
• Timely response to emergency service calls during and outside of normal working hours
• Accurate and thorough documentation of hours worked, tasking performed, materials used, and processes involved
• Advise immediate Supervisor of job progress and material/labor requirements
• Accomplish tasking utilizing design drawings, specifications, and wiring diagrams
• Follow established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), suggest revisions as needed, and create SOPs as directed
• Perform tasking outdoors in environmentally challenging conditions including wind and extreme cold weather
• Routinely utilize independent judgment and discretion to identify potential issues and solve problems
• Proactively identify any unsafe conditions, hazards, or Code violations and communicate them effectively
• Work directly with other departments to plan and complete tasking
• Learn and effectively utilize computer based labor, material, and maintenance tracking applications
• May deploy to remote research support facilities for day trips or extended periods (McMurdo only)
• Occasionally utilize the assistance of other station personnel to complete tasking, or assist other trades or departments with their tasking
• Comply with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH), Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements
• Participate in Work Center Safety Program and ASC safety objectives
• Participate in community programs such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (station clean-up), “GASH” (galley clean-up at Palmer), and recycling efforts
• Perform other duties as required
• A current Journeyman Electrician license, a current Master Electrician license, or equivalent Union membership in good standing. A Journeyman license requiring less than 8,000 hours or of the Residential type shall not be considered.
• Minimum four years (8,000 Hours) documented experience in all phases of electrical work including rough-in, trim-out, wiring of electrical equipment and fixtures, conduit installation, and power distribution wiring including voltages up to 480
• Thorough knowledge of the current National Electrical Code and the principles of electricity
• Experience in construction and/or maintenance of commercial and/or industrial facilities
• Ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications, and diagrams
• Possess prior computer experience and be able and willing to learn and effectively utilize computer based labor, inventory, and maintenance tracking applications
• Possess the competencies, willingness, and ability to perform the duties of position
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
• Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
• Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
• Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
• Must successfully complete the physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
• Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
• Must be able to legally obtain employment within the US without sponsorship.
• Training or certification on NFPA 70E: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
• Experience with installation, repair, and maintenance of heat trace on outdoor insulated piping
• Experience with installation, repair, and maintenance of permanently installed UPS systems
• Experience with installation, repair, and maintenance of motor controls and Variable Frequency Drives
• Experience with Maximo or other Computerized Maintenance Management System
• Experience with installation, repair, and maintenance of airfield runway lighting (McMurdo only)
• Experience working with voltages up to 4160 (McMurdo and South Pole)
• Experience with maintenance and installation of fire alarm systems and components (South Pole and Palmer)
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
Today, the approximately 15,000 members of our global workforce perform with excellence and dedication in roughly 60 countries, on all seven continents, in some of the world's most challenging regions. We attribute our success to the quality of our work and the integrity and high ethical standards that define our business operations. PAE is headquartered in Arlington, VA.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
PAE is a drug-free workplace.
PAE Antarctica Contract
Why Work Here?PAE is a leading provider of enduring support for the essential missions of the U.S. Government, its allied partners and international organizations. As it enters its 60th year of business, PAE's current portfolio includes capabilities in critical facility infrastructure, aviation, logistics, training, range operations, and national security solutions, to support some of the most meaningful and exciting missions in the world. Today, the approximately 15,000 members of our global workforce perform with excellence and dedication in roughly 60 countries, on all seven continents, in some of the world's most challenging regions. We attribute our success to the quality of our work and the integrity and high ethical standards that define our business operations. PAE is headquartered in Arlington, VA. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. PAE is a drug-free workplace.
We support science on the bottom of the world!