Gladding McBean in Lincoln, CA is a manufacturer of vitrified clay pipe for sewers, clay roof tile, piazza clay floor tile, glazed terra cotta pottery, architectural terra cotta, sacked mortar clay, chimney tops and caps. We are a proud member of the Pacific Coast Building Products Family of Companies
Under the supervision of the Clay General Manager, this position is responsible for implementing human resources policies for staffing, employee relations, training and wage and hour compliance. Ensures human resources strategies align with organizational business goals and is responsible for supporting and demonstrating the Core Values of Integrity, Safety, Respect, Customer Focus, Quality, Innovation and Financial Success. This position reports to the General Manager with a dotted line to the Director of Human Resources. Performs other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works with a high level of autonomy
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Will supervise one payroll coordinator at another Clay Company site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Builds collaborative relationships within the location, with counterparts at other locations and with Subsidiary staff.
- Provides counsel to peers, managers and supervisors and employees.
- Provides support to other locations as needed.
- Helps to develop and implement subsidiary wide initiatives and programs.
- Leads various employee engagement initiatives such as Wellness, Adopt-a-Family, employee recognition (service awards).
- Will be responsible for the payroll process at the GMB facility.
- Counsels with management on behavior and performance issues.
- Frequently observes for underlying morale issues in order to address proactively.
- Counsels with employees to mediate disputes and address (investigate) complaints in a timely manner. Coordinate with management the response and solutions to issues and complaints in a timely manner.
- Keep Subsidiary Human Resources informed of any and all investigations and request help when necessary.
- Review all terminations with management before taking action.
- Review employee counseling plans and progressions with appropriate manager.
- Proactively communicates and responds to inquiries regarding the Company’s processes, policies, procedures and programs.
- Identifies key sources of potential candidates.
- Actively recruits for open positions and to create a pipeline of potential candidates for both locations.
- Coordinates pre-hire activities including employee physicals, offer letters, background checks and drug screens.
- Screens and interviews potential candidates for recommendation.
- Coordinates new hire orientation: paperwork, orientation training, benefit overview, payroll and timekeeping.
- Reviews new hire salary offers for internal equity and consistency with compensation guidelines.
- Coordinates with Basalite Subsidiary HR to ensure job descriptions are up to date and housed centrally and to create job descriptions where none exist.
- Ensures pay changes (i.e. promotions, position changes, demotions etc.) are consistent with Company guidelines and completed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate, using the Company’s Learning Management System, required training
- May present ongoing information. i.e. open enrollment, Wellness, and training sessions such as disciplinary action, performance management and anti-discrimination.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of periodic reports for management.
- Assists employees with questions regarding payroll and benefits and Company policies.
- Coordinates Open Enrollment, Wellness Screenings and Benefit meetings and Company events.
Compliance - Maintains current knowledge of employment laws, regulations, trends and best practices. Implements any changes upon the direction of the Director of Human Resources.
- Collaborates with Basalite Subsidiary Human Resources on personnel manual maintenance and updates.
- Maintains required federal and state posters and other important Company information.
- Works through, communicates and coaches the locations’ management to ensure human resource compliance.
- Attends safety meetings and abides by all safety rules set forth by company and governmental regulatory agencies; ensures that hazardous conditions are reported and corrected.
- Regular attendance is required.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university
- Five (5) years related human resources experience and/or training; and
- PHR-CA or SPHR (preferred) Certification highly desirable.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business policies, government regulations and employment law briefs.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, coworkers and employees
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, including fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Must be able to operate a personal computer and be knowledgeable in the Microsoft Office Windows Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Success Factors and SAP and Novatime or an equivalent HRIS/payroll software.
This is a regular, full-time position with competitive compensation and full benefits including medical/dental insurance, disability benefits, life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing retirement plan, and wellness programs. We are an equal opportunity employer and promote a drug free workplace