Legal Assistant Paralegal
- Posted: over a month ago
- $23 Hourly
- Benefits: dental, medical, vision,
We are seeking a Judicial Assistant/Legal Assistant in the Vancouver, WA area.
This role is with a County Superior Court.
This is a long-term temporary assignment. Duration September 2022 to June 2023.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Superior Court Judicial Assistants provide a full range of confidential and administrative support to the assigned Superior Court Judicial Officer.
- Manages the judicial department; plans work of the department and sets daily priorities; devises and evaluates legal procedures and implements changes per the direction of the Judicial Officer. Stays abreast of changes in civil, probate, criminal and domestic relations rules, legal procedures and codes; draft orders in all case types; files with the Superior Court Clerk’s Office court orders, forms, warrants, and other court issued pleadings.
- Researches and monitors statutorily required case deadlines in criminal, civil, domestic relations, probate, guardianship, dependency, termination case types and obligations for Judicial Officers; schedules flow of cases to promote judicial efficiency, including case reassignments in event of recusals, affidavits of prejudice, and other conflicts.
- Evaluates all incoming communications and drafts responses following statutory and procedural guidelines for the Judicial Officer approval; routing responses to the appropriate parties; calling attention to items needing immediate consideration.
- Manages court dockets; examines and distributes documents and bench copies; prepares notifications essential for preparation of dockets and special settings. Conducts analytical research independent or at the direction of the judicial officer for the purpose of docket, hearing or trial preparation.
- Schedules civil, juvenile offender, mental health civil commitment, dependency, termination of parental rights, probate, guardianship, sexually violent predator and criminal trials, motions, sentencings, and other hearings; provides case management applying local court rules and other statutorily regulated requirements and timelines. Updates scheduled hearings on the Court’s case management system (ODYSSEY).
- Creates, maintains and updates a calendar of trials, dockets, hearings, meetings, appointments and any other court related matters for Judicial Officers for a period of at least one year out. Relays information about the Judicial Officer’s schedule changes to the Superior Court Clerk’s Office, law enforcement, attorneys, pro se litigants, and other departments. Prepares departmental weekly schedule and distribution of schedules to all necessary parties, as well as updates as required.
- Responsible for securing the courtroom and Judicial Officer’s chambers from security risks. Acts as a liaison with the media, law enforcement agencies, court staff, courtroom clerks, attorneys, community agencies and the general public addressing high profile and confidential Superior Court matters; to ensure compliance with judicial canons.
- Maintains official audio/video court records for the required statutory period, along with annual archiving of department records. Attends court and performs Superior Court related functions such as keeping detailed logs of trials and docket proceedings, managing video conference software and document sharing software for video court hearings for virtual appearances. Coordinates jail transport pertaining to all matters involving in-custody defendants.
- Handles and disseminates confidential/sealed criminal investigation documents in search warrants and special inquiries. Coordinates confidential search warrant reviews with law enforcement. Submits confidential reports regarding wiretap, trap and trace, and related warrant information to the Administrative Office of the Courts.
- Manages appellate process by receiving and preparing records in accordance with the Statement of Arrangements.
- Disseminates data from court proceedings to other judicial departments and acts as a liaison between judicial departments to relay vital operative case information. Coordinates with other Superior Court Judicial Assistants to ensure all Judicial Officers have needed support and staff coverage.
- Trains temporary or permanent court employees and coordinates work for interns assigned to the Superior Court bench. Resolves personnel problems and provides input to the Superior Court bench for interns and bailiffs performance appraisal. Reviews and signs bailiff and interpreter timesheets.
- Manages jury trials; coordinates schedules and supervises bailiffs and jury panels; in the absence of an available bailiff, takes on the role of bailiff as well; supervises jurors, arranging juror meals, monitoring of evidence during deliberations, and drafting jury instructions.
- Handles confidential and sensitive situations with diplomacy and experienced judgment. Addresses litigants, responds to emergency medical situations, and any additional security needs.
- Knowledgeable in the use of ODYSSEY Case Management system, Liberty, JABS, JIS, JAVS, video conference software, DVD/CD and VHS/Audio Cassette dubbing, and Microsoft Office Products.
- Performs any other work as requested by the Judicial Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree or completion of paralegal course work at an accredited college or business school and three years [minimum] to six years [desirable] of progressively responsible office work experience within a court environment performing legal support activities; or
- Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
EXCEEDING CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS
P.I.E. Management, L.L.C., is a business service provider which assists its customers with professional staffing solutions.
Established in 2002, P.I.E., has grown from a single person home based business to a multimillion dollar service provider. P.I.E.’s senior management has collectively over 25 years of customer service and staffing experience. Customers include both private companies and municipalities.
P.I.E. Management LLC
1200 Franklin StreetVancouver, WA
LegalView all jobs at P.I.E. Management LLC