We have been a leading figure in publishing for more than 500 years. We have always been a forward-looking organization, maximizing the technology for the day, but the digital revolution is bringing enormous change, fast. That same spirit of adventure and entrepreneurialism is critical to our future success. In a fast changing publishing landscape, OUP welcomes the inquisitive, the inventive, and the ambitious; people who challenge the conventional, and pioneer the possible.
The Institutional Sales Representative will manage established accounts and open new accounts in order to meet or exceed sales targets for the assigned territory. This role will be responsible for new sales, upselling, and cross-selling of online products and journal collections to academic institutions using a variety of professional sales techniques. The person in this role work remotely in the West within a reasonable distance to their assigned territory, which includes Western Canada, the Great Plains, the Great Basin, and the Northern Rockies.
Essential Functions: The following is an outline of the basic duties and responsibilities of the above-titled position. It describes the duties and responsibilities in the broad scope and is not intended to be all-inclusive. Individual(s) in this position may, from time-to-time, be assigned other duties as appropriate.
- Analyzes territory, both in terms of existing and new business, to allocate time expenditure, call frequency, and customer visits to maximize productivity to achieve or exceed individual sales targets. Contributes collaboratively as a team member to the region’s objectives.
- Participates fully in sales campaigns and initiatives outlined in the annual fiscal sales calendar, including active participation in training and reflection.
- Represents OUP at library conferences, online demonstrations, and direct customer sales calls.
- Maintains customer contacts, opportunities, and account activity information in Salesforce as required.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with customers while gaining an understanding of their businesses, organizations, and needs.
- Develops leads into new accounts by initiating contact, generating trials, and performing timely follow up.
- Continually updates knowledge of online products and journals to improve selling skills and maximize sales.
- Increases incremental sales within territory by maximizing cross-selling and up-selling opportunities.
- Works with journals collection subscribers to renew collections annually.
- Provides timely assistance to customers when their account requires help. May seek help from other departments when necessary or answer questions directly when appropriate.
- Prepares written presentations, reports, and price quotations as required to promote sales within assigned territory or at the request of Institutional Sales management.
- Highly motivated to become a top-notch sales producer, demonstrating initiative, diligence, and willingness to learn what that requires.
- Experience in publishing industry, especially in library sales, and knowledge of scholarly communications environment is highly desirable.
- Experience analyzing data to drive priorities and activities, and strong numeracy skills for the preparation of complex quotations.
- Able and willing to spend up to 25% of time traveling to library conferences, sales meetings, and on-campus site visits as required or needed.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and be a self-starter to meet deadlines and goals.
- Excellent communication, organization, attention to detail, and Microsoft Office skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree highly recommended.
Location: Remote in the Western US or Canada; Position can be located in Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis or Vancouver, BC.
GJC Level: I4 (for internal purposes only)
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.
Recruitment Agencies – At this time we do not require any extra support. Please do not send unsolicited resumes to human resources.