Summer Camp Instructor
- Posted: 6 days ago
Oxbow Education (“OxEd”) is seeking Kids’ Farm Summer Camp Instructors to lead summer camp groups for 5 week-long day camp sessions, facilitate environmental/farm education programs and family tours as scheduled during non-camp weeks, and contribute to seasonal special events as needed. Summer Camp Instructors will lead groups of 9-12 campers ages 7-11, as well as 1-3 youth and/or adult volunteers. As a Camp Instructor, you will facilitate a successful camp experience by keeping them engaged with a variety of educational games and activities, while being responsible for their safety and a majority of their daily schedule.
Summer Camp Instructors will lead and develop nature- and farm-based activities and will have the opportunity to learn more about organic farming and environmental education. Camp Instructors will also facilitate fieldtrip programs, and contribute to farming and site upkeep as needed during the weeks between camp sessions. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who enjoys and appreciates the outdoors and who has experience leading summer camp groups and facilitating outdoor games and activities.
The Summer Camp Instructor position is Full-Time (average of 40 hours per week). The preferred starting date for this position is June 12th, 2022 with the position ending September 1, 2022 (there is a possibility of one of the positions being extended through November 9th, to support fall environmental education programming.) The work schedule is primarily Monday-Friday with rare weekend work. Camp instructors must be available to work all training and camp weeks, see details below.
- Lead your group of campers, ages 7-11, in farm- and nature-based camp activities
- Ensure safety of campers and volunteers
- Contribute to planning and prep in advance of summer camp sessions
- Plan and lead the day-to-day activities of your summer camp group
- Facilitate games, songs, stories, and activities
- Participate in all-camp activities
- Behavioral management of campers
- Work with and give direction to volunteer(s) assigned to your group
- Assist in set-up and clean-up of daily camp activities
- Facilitate environmental/farm education programs and family tours as scheduled during non-camp weeks
- Participate in debriefing meetings to assist other Instructors in group success
- Previous summer camp instructor or comparable experience preferred
- Experience working with children, especially ages 7-11
- High-energy and playful
- Exceptionally positive attitude
- Self-driven and motivated
- Experience facilitating educational outdoor games and activities
- Ability to do light physical work, including standing for several hours, walk on uneven terrain, occasional high-energy activity (running, active games with children) and working outdoors in various conditions
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Positive leadership skills, understanding of and experience with positive/constructive behavior management techniques for youth
- Skill in language other than English (esp. Spanish) preferred, but not required
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Possess or are willing to obtain Adult and Pediatric First Aid, CPR & AED certification within 2 weeks of start date (training/certification cost will be compensated)
- Possess or are willing to obtain Washington State Food Handling certification within 2 weeks of start date (training/certification cost will be compensated)
- A musical inclination, video or photo skills, theatrical experience, or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter
- All Oxbow employees are required to be vaccinated against Covid-19, and adhere to company policy regarding masking and other safety policies and procedures
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
Priority program dates for the Summer 2023 season (staffing needs are most critical for these periods):
- Staff training: June 12-23
- Camp Session 1: June 26- June 30
- Camp Session 2: July 3-7 (no camp on July 4)
- Camp Session 3: July 24-28
- Camp Session 4: Aug 7-11
- Camp Session 5: Aug. 14-18
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff members bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a non-exempt seasonal, full-time position, paying $21 per hour and is eligible for overtime. Oxbow offers competitive benefits including paid time-off and a monthly phone stipend.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Sports and Recreation
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?