Works in conjunction with plant management and plant staff towards continuous safety improvement and support of Oxbow’s H&S Policy through the implementation of health and safety procedures consistent with Oxbow Corporate Safety Management System (SMS) requirements and applicable H&S regulations, codes, and standards.
Essential Job Duties:
- Leads the development of annual health & safety plans.
- Provides H&S expertise and support as a resource to facility management and plant staff.
- Supports individual facility development and deployment of appropriate performance / program standards outlining minimum H&S expectations per Oxbow Corporate SMS.
- Assists in development and execution of H&S objectives, targets, strategies and action plans, in conjunction with plant management, to ensure conformance with corporate objectives and requirements.
- Ability to track and trend all EHS reporting system health and safety information and communicate to all employees.
- Lead and support local incident investigations per SMS program requirements
- Participate in Corporate Internal health & Safety Audit process (as directed)
- Supports the development, execution, facilitation and participation in H&S auditing, hazard and safety assessment programs.
- Takes a leadership role in the development of facility H&S communications.
- Takes a lead role in the development and improvement of Job Safety Analyses (JSA) and Work Permits at respective facilities.
- Schedule, and/or conduct health and safety training as needed.
- Supports management with special projects and workflow process improvements and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communicates clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and styles. Effectively tailors the message to the needs of the audience.
- Establishes goals and objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable and relevant.
- Lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
- Must be a strong team player and able to adapt problem-solving abilities to divergent opinions and/or conflict resolution.
- The ability to influence without direct line responsibility and interactively work towards results that build trust is required.
- Knowledge and practical experience in the implementation of facility level industrial safety programs, including, but not limited to, lock out - tag out; confined space entry; fall protection; and hot work permits.
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Demonstrated proficiency with the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point, as well as other common computer applications.
- Ability to develop, modify and implement safety standards to reflect facility requirements.
- Ability to communicate or exchange ideas by means of verbal or written word to impart information to employees and staff and to convey detailed instructions to other workers.
- Experience with ISO: 9000 and OHSAS 18001 requirements is a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in health & safety, environmental science, engineering or equivalent industrial experience required.
- Practical experience and understanding of H&S regulations (federal and state), industrial standards (e.g., ANSI; NFPA; NEC) and audit programs.
- Demonstrated ability to write in a clear, concise and organized manner, using correct grammar.
- Practical experience in H&S management systems, risk management, and root cause incident investigation techniques.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)/Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or ability to obtain certification within two years.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Ability to lift, carry, push/pull, or otherwise move and position objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Sits or stands for extended amount of time in front of a computer.
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders, and work at heights of approximately 150ft.
- Must be able to pass general physically fit testing.
- Must be trained in the safety requirements at the facility.
- May be required to move about to coordinate work.
- Must be able to be on call at all times.
- Ability to communicate or exchange effectively, either written or oral, with other employees in the plant as well as with outside auditors/examiners.
- Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Must be able to travel as needed.
- Requires occasional work in areas with moving, vibrating, rotating equipment.
- Personal Protective Equipment required for the job include eye protection, hearing protection, hardhat, appropriate gloves for the task, steel-toed boots, dust mask, and fall protection.
NOTE: This job description reflects the company’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Assigned tasks are subject to change at any time due to company discretion, job requirements, reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Oxbow Calcining LLC is an EOE/ADA employer