Sr. Structural Analyst, Airframe
- Posted: over a month ago
At Overair, we are dedicated to bring next generation sustainable air transportation to everyone. Our answer is Butterfly, an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft designed to safely and affordably carry passengers over traffic and congestion. Butterfly leverages over two decades of VTOL aircraft development, patented VTOL technology, and flight vehicle experience.
Overair believes in the lofty goals of sustainable air mobility and we are committed to solving the hard challenges along the way. We are building an industry leading team covering an expanse of skills, talents, and expertise in order to build a superior electric VTOL aircraft. If you enjoy solving difficult problems, and seeing your ideas and visions expressed in flight hardware, we want you on our team.
Overair is seeking an experienced Airframe Structural Analyst to take ownership of significant analysis of the composite aircraft structure. Qualified candidates will be responsible for overseeing, and analyzing composite and metallic parts and assemblies for the aircraft primary and secondary structure. This role requires the candidate to thrive in a high paced environment and be comfortable with the design, development, and test life cycle of rapid aerospace R&D. This role will include interfacing with engineering management, certification authorities, and fellow design engineers and analysts, so strong communication and inter-personal skills are required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform initial sizing for primary and secondary aircraft structures
- Provide design feedback for structural concepts
- Includes fuselage, wings, nacelles, blades, landing gear
- Define key structural requirements and take ownership of them through the design life-cycle
- Collaborate on internal analysis standards and methodologies
- Analyze composite parts and assemblies for primary and secondary flight structures
- Conduct FEM/FEA, create stress reports, provide design feedback
- Review other structural analysis
- Review for proper analysis methodology and results
- Support structural test efforts (ground and flight)
- Includes materials testing and qualification testing
- Mentor other design engineers and analysts
- Minimum of 8 years of professional industry experience
- BS, MS, PhD in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related field
- Extensive analysis skills and judgment. Well versed in classical analysis methodology and aerospace design standards
- Experience analyzing critical composite aircraft structures, which have been sized for strength, stiffness, damage, fatigue, or a combination thereof
- Extensive familiarity with finite element analytical tools such as Altair's suite of tools (Hypermesh, Optistruct, Hyperview) or similar (i.e. ANSYS, FEMAP etc.)
- Experienced in 3D CAD and FEA/FEM model setup using 3DExperience (preferred), CATIA V5/V6, SolidWorks or equivalent
- Deep knowledge in composite material selection, processing, and manufacturing in aerospace applications
- Engineering leadership experience and mentoring other engineers
- Experience supporting ground and flight testing of composite structures
- Experience with design, analysis, and verification of certified composite aircraft structures e.g. 14CFR Part23/CS-23 or equivalent
- Experience with optimization of composite structures and laminates
- Experience with non-linear composites analysis including non-linear explicit analyses
- Experience supporting ground and flight testing of complex systems
- Familiarity with material allowables generation and test programs
- Experience with high rate composites manufacturing methods (fiber placement, resin transfer molding, compression molding, thermoplastics)
Summary of Benefits:
- Medical – Company provides no cost Medical coverage for employee and all dependents.
- Dental & Vision – Company pays for 80% of Dental and Vision coverage for employee and 50% for each dependent.
- 12 weeks of supplemental Paid Family Leave
- Company-paid Life Insurance Plan
- 401(k) plan – Employee eligible on first day of work, 6% Company-match, no vesting period.
- Paid Time Off:
- Vacation: 4 weeks/year
- Holiday: 10 days/year
- Sick Time: 48 hours/year
- Volunteer Time: 8 hours/quarter
AddressSanta Ana, CA
ConstructionView all jobs at Overair