OTR Truck Driver (Over the Road Truck Driver)
- Posted: over a month ago
The OTR (long-distance) truck driver ensures Orthman freight and brokered freight is delivered to our customers in a timely, safe, legal and efficient manner. This individual will perform medium demand level duties in securing freight and operating hours. This position is ideal for someone with a minimum two years of over the road experience.
- Understands and applies appropriate policies and procedures relevant to the position.
- Participates in meetings, projects and activities in support of company and team goals.
- Anticipates problems and takes steps to correct issues, which may reduce performance.
- Maintains proficiency in relevant knowledge skills and in the use of applicable equipment.
- Accurately and timely accomplishes core responsibilities.
- Attends work during agreed up work times.
- Ensures timely deliveries, operates tractor-trailer in a safe, legal and efficient manner.
- Hooks and unhooks trailers, secures freight, installs and removes tire chains as required by weather, tarps and un-tarps freight when load requires, has knowledge of securing loads and operations specific to flatbed equipment.
- Inspects/maintains tractor and trailer to DOT standards, including pre-trips, ensuring equipment is available for routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment, and refers to fleet manager for defects and repairs.
- Complies with DOT operation laws and regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking and break periods) as well as with Orthman policies and procedures.
- Completes all necessary paperwork and maintains records required under state and federal laws and regulations. Documents and logs miles driven, work and rest periods within the electronic system.
- Communicates regularly with dispatch, supervisor and clients on trip, schedule and equipment updates when needed.
- Represents Orthman Logistics and its industry in a professional manner.
OTHER JOB CRITERIA
- The Tractor-Trailer (OTR) Truck Driver as a medium physical demand level position.
- Ability to squat, crouch and reach as needed.
- Involves lifting no more than 100 lbs. at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to enter and exit the vehicle’s cab numerous times daily.
- Ability to be away from home for extended periods.
- Ability to work various hours of the day, to include daytime, evening and night driving, should the delivery schedule demand so.
- Ability to remain alert while driving for periods of up to 11 hours.
- Valid CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)
- Valid DOT medical card
- 2 years OTR (over the road) experience
- No moving violations in the past 3 years
- Flatbed knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of all applicable DOT regulations and Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Meets all standards (medical, safety, etc.) required by the DOT and pass required drug/alcohol testing
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at Orthman Manufacturing