We're partnering with a manufacturing company in the Baltimore area on their search for a Plant Controller. The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing product costs and inventory valuation for the facility, including leading physical inventory counts. This role will lead efforts to enhance the monthly reporting of the plant's financial and operating results. This position will also lead process improvement efforts, including devising a methodology for tracking cost savings and improving the current allocation methods. This role requires a thorough understanding of all cost elements and manufacturing cost analysis/accounting.
- Lead the monthly plant financial performance meetings, highlighting areas of focus for the team.
- Manage inventory reviews and analysis, which includes supervising the physical count programs and leading the development of inventory aging and reserve analyses.
- Direct the annual physical inventory; evaluate and reconcile the physical inventory results as well as determine the excess and obsolete inventory amounts.
- Ensure internal procedures & GAAP are followed on a consistent basis and in compliance with Corporate, External Audit, and SOX requirements.
- Develop and maintain procedures for the control of all assets, revenues and expenses of the plant
- Guide financial decisions by monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Preparation and interpretation of plant financial statements. Preparation of interpretive financial analysis of plant operations. Analyze and counsel Plant Manager and staff on variances from plant goals and plan.
- Coordinate with the Plant Manager the preparation of the plant’s annual budget and monthly forecasts, including issuance of budget instructions, comparative data, timetables and forms.
- Manage cost performance process for the manufacturing site.
- Evaluate where the business can do things differently and find cost savings.
- Manage purchasing and labor practices to keep costs within specified budget while maintaining production schedules.
- Responsible for maintaining up-to-date standard costing system with monthly updates
- Evaluate and assist in the preparation of all capital expenditure requests. Maintain control procedures to ensure spending is within approved limits. Prepare audit of completed capital projects to ensure projected profitability and return on investment stated in the original appropriation is achieved.
- Oversee the processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable and the processing of the payroll files to 3rd party payroll providers.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and 5-10yrs experience in Cost, General Accounting, & Budgeting in a manufacturing environment;
- CPA, CMA or MBA preferred. Equivalent combination of education and/or experience considered.
- 5 + years of experience in a finance or accounting role, with experience in a manufacturing environment. Extensive involvement in budgeting, forecasting, month end reporting and inventory valuation.
- Previous experience at the plant level as a controller, accountant, or cost analyst.
- Direct experience with SOX compliance/controls, external/internal audits; hands-on month-end accountability, tracking fixed assets and tooling, AR/AP specific to the plant environment.
- Experience with month-end accounting close process in a manufacturing environment.
- Team player in working with the plant and business units' cross functional teams.
- Proven experience in working with business unit management teams to drive improved cost performance.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Orion Solutions Group