Director of Foundation, Government, and Corporate Giving
Oregon Shakespeare Festival Ashland, OR
- Posted: over a month ago
OSF is one of the nations most important theatres and one of the few remaining large-scale theatres offering rotating repertory and a resident company. The organization is proud to have commissioned and produced an extraordinary and growing number of new plays; and the organizations dramatic growth since 2010 has been mirrored by audiences of over 125,000 patrons each season. OSF has worked for the past decade to dismantle the constructs that center the status quo, including ever evolving work from artists and staff to grow towards becoming an antiracist organization. OSFs Board of Directors has also recently committed to centering antiracist practices in their work.Over the last eighty-five years OSF has been a destination theatre, with the majority of its audiences making a pilgrimage to Ashland from outside Oregons borders. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Nataki Garret, the organization is focused on being both a destination theatre and a leader in the digital performance landscape. OSFs new digital platform, the O!, seeks to reach beyond OSFs traditional audience across regional, national and international borders. Thus far people from more than 40 countries have watched an O! experience.
OSF is driven by its values. These four core values imbue the OSF culture:
Excellence: We bring the best possible version of ourselves to our work onstage and to the organization, holding ourselves to high artistic, professional and personal standards.
Inclusion: We include a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our work, enriching our art, our relationships with each other, our audiences and our community.
Company: We sustain a safe and supportive workplace where we rely on our fellow company members to work toward excellence with trust, respect, compassion and accountability.
Stewardship: We make wise, efficient and responsible use of all the resources entrusted to us, sustaining our long-standing financial stability, the legacy of our organization's 8O-year history, and the health of our planet. When in full operation, OSF has over 400 employees, serves more than 125,000 ticket buyers who purchase more than 400,000 tickets, and performs across three theatres: The 1,200 seat Elizabethan Theatre, the 600 seat Bowmer Theatre and the 400 seat Thomas Theatre.Additional information can be accessed on OSFs website.
Leadership Nataki Garrett, Artistic Director - On August 1, 2019, Nataki Garrett became the sixth Artistic Director of OSF (following Bill Rauch, and before him, Libby Appel, Henry Woronicz, Jerry Turner, and Founder Angus L. Bowmer). 2019 was Garretts first season at OSF, where she directed How to Catch Creation.
David Schmitz, Executive Director - On September 1, 2020, David Schmitz became the Executive Director at OSF. Prior to joining OSF he was with Steppenwolf Theatre for 15 years, having served as its Director of Finance and Administration, General Manager, and for the past five years as Executive Director.
The Director of Foundation, and Government, and Corporate Giving works closely with the Director of Development to maintain and increase foundation, government, and corporate support and government giving in the highly competitive field of performing arts fundraising; with the expectation of securing $3M - $10M in commitments annually. Must have experience in and knowledge of the national arts funding environment. The Director is responsible for identification, cultivation and solicitation of gifts, grants, and sponsorship and grants from local, regional, national and international foundations and corporate sources, as well as grants from , local municipalities , and state and federal sources for OSF annual operations, special projects and capital campaigns. The Director works with a 12-member development staff and supervises a three-person grant writing and grants management team: Associate Director of Institutional Giving and Analytics, Principal Gift Strategist, and Institutional Giving Administrator, plus additional grant writing support.
Essential Functions include (but are not limited to):
- Work closely with the Development Director to create a comprehensive annual plan for foundation, corporate,and government support from both new and renewing sources.
- Implement plan through research, writing, personal contacts, and the activation and coordination of OSF senior leadership (Artistic Director, Executive Director, board members, others as appropriate) in the cultivation and solicitation of foundation, corporate, and government decision-makers.
- Interpret OSFs budget, mission and goals to conceive and synthesize compelling case statements, and work directly with Artistic Director, Executive Director, other senior staff and multiple OSF departments to create competitive funding proposals.
- Attend ED&I, sexual harassment and any other anti-bias trainings and workshops as scheduled by OSF.
- Model and support the mission and values of OSF.
- Steward and lead communication strategies for foundation, corporate, and government sources, including the coordination of on-site visits to OSF and travel to foundations and government agencies by OSF staff and board
- Work directly with Executive Director and Director of Development to set goals for foundation and government annual, capital and special project support
- Monitor foundation and government giving goals and report monthly and annually to the Director of Development and senior leadership
- Oversee funder recognition.
- Work closely with the Principal Gift Strategist to oversee preparation of customized narratives and budgets for special project appeals to major individual donors.
- Work with members of the Board of Directors to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors.
- Represent OSF before peer institutions and major institutional grantors ($20,000+) throughout the region and around the country.
- Monitor foundation, corporate, and government giving trends on local, state and national levels.
Thorough understanding of and successful track record in managing employees to success.
Grant writing and grant management experience, preferably in non-profit institutions; expertise in budgeting and financial management; knowledge of regional and national philanthropic community; leadership qualities, ability to inspire and motivate others, strong work ethic; high energy, positive attitude, flexibility, teamwork and attention to detail; ability to work collaboratively, listen well and draw the best from colleagues and employees; good computer skills and knowledge of fundraising database programs (knowledge of Tessitura is a plus); ability to relate effectively with a diverse range of people; skill in fostering innovation, ability to see new opportunities and position the theatre to exploit opportunities to increase contributed income; passion for the art form.
The following qualifications are required:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Masters degree preferred.
- Thorough understanding of and successful track record in managing employees to success.
- Grant writing and grant management experience, preferably in non-profit institutions
- Expertise in budgeting and financial management
The following qualifications are desired:
- Knowledge of regional and national philanthropic community; leadership qualities, ability to inspire and motivate others, strong work ethic; high energy, positive attitude, flexibility, teamwork and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively, listen well and draw the best from colleagues and employees
- Good computer skills and knowledge of fundraising database programs (knowledge of Tessitura is a plus); ability to relate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Skill in fostering innovation, ability to see new opportunities and position the theatre to exploit opportunities to increase contributed income; passion for the art form.
Benefits include excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; 403B plan; competitive vacation and flexible working hours; free tickets to OSF shows; and a wide number of discounts for Ashland businesses.