Director of Culinary Services / Executive Chef
POSITION: Director of Culinary Services / Executive Chef
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
The Executive Chef is responsible for the overall leadership, management and organization of the dietary department. This responsibility includes the management of staff, budget, services, meal preparation, inventory control, menu planning, meal presentation, food safety, resident satisfaction and regulatory compliance. The Executive Chef ensures that policies and procedures established by Orchard are implemented and maintained consistently.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Bachelor's degree in food service management preferred or three (3+) years experience in food service production preferably in assisted living, full service, skilled nursing and or hospitality industries
- Maintains "ServSafe Certification"
- Two (2) years supervisory and management experience including hiring staff, coaching, performance management daily operations supervision, discipline and counseling
- Must successfully clear a background check, TB skin test or x-ray, and health screening
- Current CPR certification
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Current certificate of training for successful completion of the five (5) hour initial fire safety training provided by the Rules and Regulations of the Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cooks or otherwise prepares high-quality, nutritious meals with excellent food presentation according to recipes and/or menu
- Cuts, trims and bone meats and poultry for cooking; carves meats; and serves sauces, vegetables, soups and other foods
- Portions cooked foods- gives instructions to the kitchen staff as to size of portions and methods of garnishing
- Oversees all kitchen operations including: food and supply orders, food and equipment inventory, food production, batch food preparations and presentation, timely service of meals, portions and special dietary requirements
- Plans, prepares, and executes community special events requiring culinary services in coordination with the Senior Care Counselor/ Executive Director
- Purchases food and supply products, maintains cost records, and works to meet budget guidelines, as approved by Executive Director
- Receives and examines foods and supplies to ensure quality and quantity meets established standards and specifications
- Supervises and trains culinary staff and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production
- Schedules work hours and assignments; reviews and monitors dietary staff work performance
- Ensures proper storage and food handling, adheres to all regulations and guidelines
- Maintains, cleans, and sanitizes kitchen equipment and dining room
- Ensures the completion of a dietary card on all residents as well as use of dietary cards for each resident and respite guest at every meal
- Confers with Health and Wellbeing Director to ensure that meals conform to individual residents' dietary restrictions and nutritional requirements as prescribed by physician
- Engages residents in meaningful conversation and activities related to their individual interests
- Acts as primary contact with local health department, maintains 100% rating for all health department and state inspections
- Ensures proper food sanitation and infection control procedures as adhered to at all time
- Prepares report cards/surveys for residents during random meals- Puts plan of correction in place after each negative review and follow through and provides information to Executive Director
- Provide email address and phone number for families for feedback- Always maintains dialogue with all residents/families in the community and address all dining concerns
- Creates and updates Dining Profile Book of ALL residents and makes sure all kitchen staff follows it
- Creates accountability for all kitchen staff- In conjunction with Executive Director, puts an incentive program in place for customer satisfaction and under budget performance
- Creates waste management system to keep track of all waste material- Modifies menu immediately, if needed, if food is wasted- Keeps log of all waste material and modifies due to residents likes/dislikes
- Creates inventory of all supplies such as plates, mugs, glasses, utensils, etc. Keeps track of replacements and notifies Executive Director or Business Director when supply is low
- Coordinates with linen company on napkins, table clothes, aprons, etc.
- Holds monthly "Food for Thought" meetings for AL and MC residents- During summer months and/or major holidays, coordinates with Activity department on cook outs/Dining Under the Stars event
- Creates a competitive environment amongst vendors to compete for business- Vendors offer monthly promotions and at times offer discount on selected items- Stays informed of these discounts and takes advantage of these promotions on monthly basis
- Makes sure all drinking containers are labeled at ALL times
- Maintains consistency in high quality food recipes amongst all kitchen chefs/cooks- Teaches/posts basic recipes in the kitchen if needed (example, sweet ice tea, grilled cheese sandwich)
- Maintains consistency in high quality service by servers- Teaching proper serving procedures to servers and other dining staff
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; apprising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, and resolving problems
- Posts kitchen employee schedule on the bulletin board in the kitchen- Must be visible at all times. Emails kitchen employee schedule to Executive Director each week
- Provides dining orientation to all new staff including but not limited to Care staff- Creates power-point, video orientation if needed for training purposes
- Budgetary responsibilities include reviewing financial and budget transactions, assisting with budget development, and budgetary control- Must meet or be below per diem budget-Must put a plan of correction in place and present to Executive Director if over the daily per diem
- Demonstrates knowledge of nutrition and therapeutic diets
- Works with integrity; upholds organizational values
- Ability to motivate, encourage residents; knowledge of how to adapt life skills to the cognitive and functional ability of each resident
- Inspire, motivate and encourage volunteers and fellow team members to engage residents in meaningful, purposeful activities throughout the day and evening
- Ability to handle multiple priorities
- Possess written and verbal skills for effective communication
- Competent in organizational & time management skills
- Demonstrates good judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to make responsible choices, decisions and act in a resident's best interest
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision by following Orchard Senior Living's procedures and guidelines
- Proficiency in computer skills, Microsoft Office & the ability to learn new applications
- Makes individual contributions to the success of the business and be a key member of an experienced team
- Adheres to all Orchard policies and procedures
- Maintains absolute confidentiality of all information pertaining to residents, families, and staff and adhere to all HIPAA rules
- Displays a positive and professional image and attitude in all relationships with residents, families, peers and in the community - Outlined in detail in the employee handbook
- Maintains positive communication and team collaboration
- Serves as an ambassador for Orchard at all times
- Demonstrates ongoing responsibility for self-education
- Maintains resident and personal safety regarding occupational health and safety
- Attends regularly scheduled department meetings
- Responsible for maintaining all continuing education and training requirements for position
- Attends and participates in onsite training and continuing education as required
- Participates in safety program, as requested
- Cooperates to investigate employee injuries
- Promotes and support safety awareness and implement safety operations
- Encourages staff to make suggestions on safety practices
- Participates in regularly scheduled meetings with, Executive Director, department directors and associates
- Participates in orientation of new employees
- Participates in volunteer orientations, training and education as requested
- Maintains appropriate communication with the Executive Director
- Remains updated and communicates state regulation changes to all associates
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal regulations (i.e. OSHA)
- Participates in the risk management programs
- Demonstrates the ability to be innovative and creative and have patience, high energy and resourcefulness in problem solving
- Must always be accessible either by phone or email. Email to be checked regularly
- Assists as requested by the Executive Director in a dining room during resident meal times to ensure residents have a positive experience
- Must always be accessible either by phone or email. Voice messages and emails are responded to within 24 hours
- Participates in the Manager on Duty (MOD) call rotation
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and flexible hours when necessary to meet the needs of our residents
- Follows Business Casual Dress Code policies as outlined in the employee handbook for community and department specific standards
- Only when necessary, uses cell phone solely for conducting Orchard business in common areas of the community; otherwise follows Orchard Phone Policy.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
All employees are expected to uphold the Orchard F-A-M-I-L-Y mission and vision.
Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, and Self-Control
These are the fruits of the spirit you can expect from the Orchard F-A-M-I-L-Y values and best practices.
All are welcomed with an authentic and inviting experience into the beautiful, well organized, and relaxing home we share.
Accountability and Integrity
We value the ability of our team to be reliable, personally responsible, and to honor their commitment to residents, families, leadership and one another. Accountability involves a process of seeing the need, owning the next step, and staying solution focused.
When it comes to creating a life worth living, each person has unique and individual needs. We are dedicated to creating purpose and wellbeing through connection with our team, local affiliates and organizations, and previous community relationships whenever possible.
Information and Communication
We believe knowledge is power and communication is the lifeline to effective collaboration.
Learning and Leading
Curiosity, willingness, and personal action create the professional path to achieving the orchard FAMILY of excellence.
Yes "we can" Attitude
With a can-do character we are committed to creative solution focused problem solving.
ADA Requirements (essential functions)
More than 50 lbs, routinely
More than 70 lbs, occasionally
150 lb. or greater resident weight
Orchard at BrookhavenAtlanta, GA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.