Summary We are looking for a Certified or Registered Medical Assistant to join our Urgent Care team, where we are committed to providing quality healthcare, as well as the opportunity for training, development and growth of our employees. The Medical Assistant performs a variety of clinical and clerical responsibilities to assist providers in the examination and treatment of patients including: rooming patients, taking vitals, administering medications and documenting patient histories. The Medical Assistant is also responsible for accurately registering patients at time of check in, verifying eligibility in an efficient and timely manner, and for providing outstanding customer service. The desired candidate must be a critical thinker, be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, have great customer service skills, and maintain a professional demeanor.
Position Responsibilities May Include:
- Demonstrates the ability to provide a high level of customer service and to work with patients of all ages with diverse backgrounds while maintaining confidentiality.
- Collects vital signs and patient history; collects specimens and performs basic laboratory tests, as directed by the provider.
- Coordinates patient care as directed by provider, and following company standards and policies.
- Records patient care documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assists with setup and cleanup of office procedures; accurate documentation in electronic health record and medical supply inventory management.
- Performing such tasks as giving injections, removing sutures, changing dressing on wounds, medication administration, ear irrigation, and phlebotomy as directed by the provider.
- Operates electrocardiogram (EKG) or other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Assists provider in evaluating and fitting patients for medical devices; maintains device inventory.
- Explains treatment procedures, medications, diets, or provider instructions to patients.
- Contacts medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests or admission; requests insurance authorization for medications, procedures, imaging and referrals, as needed.
- Interviews patient or patient representative to obtain necessary personal, financial, and demographic information.
- Prepares patient record and inputs into computer. Obtains all pertinent signatures, insurance information, and financial data to protect the clinic’s financial reimbursement.
- Answers telephone calls and routine inquires.
- Collects and applies co-payments, deductibles, and other payments as needed. Reconciles daily payments.
- Processes and documents all calls through the computer system per policy and procedure.
- Communicates information in a clear and concise and professional manner at all times.
- Meets internal and external customer service expectations.
- Promotes departmental and clinic continuous quality and performance improvement.
- Adheres to all medical practice policies and procedures.
- Responsible to maintain a safe and clean work environment, including specific safety and infection control requirements.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- One or more years of experience as a medical assistant in a clinic, required.
- One or more years of experience working in an Urgent Care setting, preferred.
- One or more years of experience registering patients and checking eligibility in a medical clinic environment or hospital, preferred.
- Experience with computer systems and electronic health records required, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent, professional, communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with diverse groups of people, required.
- Maintains utmost confidentiality, required.
- Knowledge of medical procedures and basic medical terminology, required.
- High School diploma or GED, required.
- Medical Assistant certificate or registration, required.
- Current Basic Life Support or CPR certificate required within 6 months of hire.