Job Title: Research Associate
Department : Research and Development
Reports to: Foundry Team Lead
Direct Reports : No
Location: Long Island City, NY (Innolabs)*
*Role requires the candidate to be on-site 100% of the time
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Opentrons Labworks, Inc., is a disruptive life science company leveraging its integrated lab platform to supercharge the pace of innovation in research and healthcare. Opentrons Labworks is the parent company to business units Opentrons Robotics and Neochromosome. Through Opentrons Robotics, thousands of institutions are automating R&D operations with flexible, easy-to-use liquid handling lab robots. Through Neochromosome, biopharma and biotech at large can benefit from our world-class genome-scale cell engineering solutions. Learn more at https://www.opentronslabworks.com/.
We provide excellent benefits, competitive compensation, equity packages, and opportunities for growth. If you are looking for your next exciting opportunity, come join us!
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision insurance for employees and their families
- Paid Vacation, Parental and Sick Leave
- Generous Stock options
- 401k with 4% company match
- Long-term and short-term Life & Disability insurance
- And much more!
About the Role
As a Research Associate in Neochromosome’s genome-scale cell engineering Foundry, you will be responsible for carrying out cutting edge wet lab experiments to support DNA manufacturing serving the next-generation of synthetic biology products. This individual will work with a team of software engineers, automation engineers and wet lab scientists to ensure delivery on DNA production goals.
What You Will Do
- Contribute to lab experiments for the development and validation of automated workflows
- Contribute to efforts to establish and implement standard operating procedures for DNA manufacturing
- Work with a team of scientists, software engineers and automation experts to meet timelines and project deliverables
- Contribute to efforts to define improvements to Foundry operations.
- Contribute to lab day-to-day operations (media prep, inventory etc.)
- Contribute to molecular biology R&D projects
- Operate automated instrumentation for high throughput experimental workflows
- Track experimental progress using a custom Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and electronic lab notebooks
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
What We Are Looking For
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in molecular biology, microbiology, chemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, biochemistry or related scientific or technical field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 1 year practical experience in an industry or academic microbiology laboratory required
- Experience with planning and executing PCR experiments required
- Experience with planning and executing cloning experiments required
- Experience with DNA extraction required
- Experience performing NGS library preparation workflows preferred
- Experience with laboratory automation systems preferred
- Experience developing experimental workflows and standard operating procedures preferred
- Experience with plasmid editing software (e.g. Ape, Snapgene) preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated competence in the execution of standard culture and isolation techniques for standard synthetic biology model organisms, and the execution of standard molecular biology techniques
- Practical knowledge of high-throughput biological processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to execute and thrive in a dynamic startup environment
Compensation Range: The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $60,000-$70,000 per year; base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and years of experience. We typically target mid-range for well-qualified candidates. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including equity and full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Opentrons is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Opentrons Labworks Inc.New York, NY
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.