The mission of Open Cities Health Center, Inc. is to provide culturally competent primary and preventive health care and related services to all people throughout the Twin Cities metropolitan area. Our goal is to improve the health and wellbeing of high risk and vulnerable populations through the provision of affordable medical, dental and mental health care and support services. Open Cities Health Center, Inc. has been providing health care services to the community for 50 years. We have two sites: 409 North Dunlap Street, St. Paul, MN 55104 and our Open Cities Health Center – North End Clinic located at 916 Rice Street, St. Paul, MN 55117.
Open Cities Health Center is a growing and dynamic community health center that is currently seeking a competent Licensed Dental Assistant. We are looking for team players who will treat all our patients and employees with dignity and respect. We interface with patients from a variety of cultures who come to us as their preferred community clinic.
Registered Dental Assistants prepare patients for dental treatment and examinations and assist the Dentist or Advanced Dental Therapists at the chair during patient treatment. They review patient records to determine the instruments and materials that will be needed, take and develop x-rays of teeth and jaws and provide routine post-operative instructions to patients. Dental Assistants also mix cements, silver amalgams, and impression materials and take pre-impressions for dentures. In addition, they sterilize instruments, utensils, dressings, and equipment; clean dental rooms and equipment; and inventory and order supplies as needed. Other duties include maintaining patient records, scheduling patients, keeping inventory, ordering supplies, and other related work as required.
- Prepares patients for treatment and examination by seating the patient, adjusting the chair at a convenient angle and draping the patient
- Reviews patient's record to determine what instruments and material will be needed and lays them out
- Passes instruments and materials to the dentist upon request
- Provides oral suction, retraction and other assistance during oral surgery
- Removes excess cement after permanent crown cementation
- Fits and cements temporary crowns
- Places post-extraction and periodontal dressings
- Placement and litigation of arch wires
- May perform coronal polishing of the teeth
- Takes x-rays of teeth and jaws and develops the film
- Mixes cements, silver amalgams and impression materials
- Takes pre-impressions for dentures
- Tests pulp vitality
- May dry canals previously opened by the dentist with absorbent points
- Provides routine post-operative instructions to patients
- Sterilizes instruments, utensils, dressings and equipment
- Cleans dental rooms and equipment
- Maintains patient records by indicating the type of work performed
- Procures charts and records needed by the dentist
- Schedules patients, inventories supply, and orders routine supplies as needed
- Other job duties as assigned
- License Required: Possession of a valid license as a Registered Dental Assistant issued by the State of Minnesota Board of Dental Examiners.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent. Certificate of graduation from an accredited dental assisting school. Current registration in dental assisting in State of Minnesota. Previous work experience desirable.
Open Cities Health Center (OCHC) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. OCHC does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, public assistance, age, sexual orientation, or membership on a local human rights commission.