Senior Project Engineer - General Construction
San Francisco Bay Area
The Senior Project Engineer is responsible to provide coordination for all phases of construction projects. This includes coordinating Vantis staff, subcontractors, material and equipment, ensuring that design intent and specifications are being strictly followed. To accomplish this, you will provide support in various aspects of estimating, construction administration, and project management work.
- Responsible and accountable for Project Delivery, including project estimating, scheduling, client relationships, and profitability. including (but not limited to)
- Project submittals, subcontract writing, budget development and oversight, scheduling, analysis, pricing labor and materials, vendor management, change order processing, document control, etc.
- Prepare and coordinate cost gathering for ROM and Contract Cost estimates.
- Coordinate job site set up and develop site logistics plan.
- Responsible for record drawings, create and maintain document control logs to track documents.
- Write, distribute, coordinate and track RFI's.
- Review all trade specific RFI's for potential, cost and/or schedule impact.
- Develop and update project schedule with Project Manager and Superintendents.
- Review specs and identify all required submittals, prepare submittal schedule, and communicate scope changes.
- Understanding of different contracts and purchase orders; provisions, terms, language, insurance requirements, claim resolutions, and warranty.
- Collaborate and build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Responsible for promoting sustainable construction and coordinating project LEED requirements.
- Managing multiple projects concurrently from start to finish, including estimating and pre-construction.
- Serve as a liaison between customer, Architect, and Vantis staff.
- Read and interpret floor plans and schematics and scale the project tasks accordingly.
- Preparing scopes of work and recommending subcontractors to be selected for contracting. Sending out invitations to bid and managing the bidding process.
- Review and understand the Project Estimate; develop and manage cost control and document control procedures for each project.
- Review, understand, and comply with all the requirements of the contract between owner and contractor.
- Pre-development input of construction techniques and cost.
- Plan and implement small to medium scaled projects, including preconstruction and construction phases.
- Responsible and accountable for day-to-day contact and coordination with project owner, and design team. Meet regularly with client and designers to ensure ongoing satisfaction.
- Coordinating with the Project Manager, Superintendents, and subcontractors to develop the project schedule.
- Reviewing plans and specifications to create scopes of work and execute contracts.
- Tracking all permits to ensure project schedule is not impacted.
- Assure that subcontractors comply with insurance and bonding requirements.
- Ensure deadlines and cost targets are met, including creating schedule, cost performance baselines / indexes, scope baseline, and tracking / adjusting progress.
- Conduct Site-Walks and create subsequent write-ups (for example, with PowerPoint).
- Create bill of materials and provide accurate quotes for both materials and labor-- insuring profitability.
- Attend and provide pre-construction status at OAC meetings.
- Coordinate with Project Manager to create final project schedule.
- Assist Project Manager with providing qualified trades for the bidding process.
- Aid compilation of and review all subcontractor scopes.
- Coordinate project setup.
COURSE OF CONSTRUCTION
- Ensure all project goals are met.
- Review field inspection reports and communicate deficiencies to supervisor.
- Track weekly trade performance against project schedule, review delay log to ensure trade delays have been incorporated into schedule and provide team update.
- Track and enter timecard information into Procore.
- Promote safety during the performance of all daily project responsibilities.
- Track and perform jobsite safety meetings, participate in safety meetings, present safety topic, maintain attendance log and binder.
- Perform daily jobsite inspections for compliance with safety standards.
- Managing the Owner and Architect including OAC meetings and creating of minutes.
- Reviewing submittals including shop drawings.
- Review and process subcontractor submittals for adherence to the specifications.
- Managing of project document logs to include RFI's, Transmittals, and Submittals.
- Maintain weekly status reports on project for supervisory review.
- Assist Safety Director by representing the Company on OSHA inspections when necessary.
- Provide Safety Director with reports on projects when necessary.
- Create and maintain site logistics plan.
- Maintain as-builts & SWPPP/BMP progress map.
- Regularly update the project schedule.
- Create and manage RFI's.
- Ensure project as-builts are updated regularly.
- Monitor execution of punch lists & quality control.
- Maintain records of job cost.
- Monitor superintendent project photos are regularly taken and managed by the superintendents.
- Monitor superintendent projects perform safety meetings with subcontractors.
- Monitor that the superintendents promote safety on the projects and monitor subcontractor's work as to compliance with the comprehensive project safety program.
- Review and approve subcontractor's and supplier's pay request.
- Maintain, if applicable, communication/coordination with national suppliers.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Construction and Operations.
- Keep the field personnel informed with the current events of the company.
- Plan, manage, direct and instruct the field associates so that coverage is provided while on vacation or approved absence from the company.
- Managing project close out, as-builts, O&M's, warranties, lien releases, punch list items, extra products and key control.
- Manage all administrative functions on the project.
- Follow all procedures and policies of the company.
- Ensure compliance with the company's safety program.
- Create and evaluate process flows and recommend improvements.
- Maintain required project documentation (Project Charter; Scope; MS Project Plan; Communication Plan; Configuration Management Plan; Risk Register and Risk Mitigation Plans; RAID logs; Lessons Learned; Training materials; Sign-off).
- Monitor all sides of the project financially including contracts, projections, billings, etc.
- Teach and provide training to the construction personnel in the policies, procedures, systems and technical construction techniques used by the company. Never ask other associates to do anything you have not done or would not do.
- Continuously evaluate the capabilities of the construction personnel and at regular intervals as determined by company policy.
- Assist as necessary in the procurement of building permits.
- Communicate and monitor the goals and objectives to the field associates.
- AA / AS degree required. BA / BS degree preferred (from an accredited college).
- Minimum of six years of construction experience with at least three years of Project Engineer experience.
- A minimum of three years general construction experience required.
- Experience waiver: Management reserves the right to amend, modify or waive any education, experience or skill requirement for this position.
- EXTREMELY Strong analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Deadline and detail oriented.
- Must be familiar with general contracting procedures.
- Knowledge of construction building codes.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of construction estimating and scheduling practices.
- Must demonstrate managerial skills appropriate with this position.
- Must be PC proficient.
- Software Skills:
- Procore, PM Management experience is required
- Bidding, Building Connected experience is a Plus