Activity Therapist - Adult Day Program
On Lok San Francisco, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
Openhouse + On Lok Community Day Services
On Lok is a not-for-profit organization founded in the early 1970s by a group of citizens concerned about the plight of elders and the lack of long term support options in the community. In 2019, On Lok joined in partnership with Openhouse, a service provider for LGBTQ seniors, to open a visionary adult day program intentionally designed with and for LGBTQ seniors.
POSITION SUMMARY:Under the direction and supervision of the Adult Day Program Manager (ADPM), the Adult Day Program (ADP) Activity Therapist plans, develops, implements, and oversees activity program services for community members.
On Lok cares deeply about its social mission to serve older adults and LGBTQ older adults as a priority in our partnership with Openhouse. The ADP Activity Therapist can support this organizational commitment by:
- Demonstrating a commitment to serving the LGBTQ senior community.
- Promoting community members' empowerment and inclusion in the day-to-day program operations.
- Exhibiting an understanding of intersectionality within the LGBTQ senior community.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster an LGTBQ-welcoming environment with a focus on overall inclusivity of the multilayered aspects of intersectionality within cultures.
- Support community members' varying levels of participation in activity/event planning, marketing, coordination, and facilitation. Promote a community member co-driven process that highlights community member empowerment into their care and program service delivery.
- Implement and evaluate creative, individualized, and therapeutic activities for community member care plans.
- Train and oversee activity staff as appropriate for activity implementation and assignments.
- Provide resources, information, consultation, and support to community members and their caregivers to promote optimal well-being.
- Plan and offer varied monthly programs. Use group and individual-oriented interventions to maximize community members' cognitive and functional abilities.
- Work with the ADPM and activity team to plan and implement outings, special events, and activity programming goals to enhance overall services by the department.
- Work with the volunteer coordinator to recruit and orient volunteers for specific activities. May provide direct supervision over the volunteer group.
- Document community members' involvement in activities, revises care plans as needed.
- Participate in quality assurance activities, and/or other tasks/committees/special projects as assigned by the ADPM.
- Serve as a productive team member for the program team and activities department. Actively communicate, participate in team activities, and work proactively to ensure optimal service delivery and community member satisfaction.
- May assist with light personal care of community members as needed, e.g. escorting the community member to the restroom, or toileting/feeding assistance once able to demonstrate competency.
- Other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (knowledge, skills, abilities):
- Bachelor's Degree in art therapy, dance therapy, music therapy, recreation therapy, occupational therapy, social work, or other health-related field, or equivalent years of experience.
- At least two years of professional work experience with the elderly and/or frail population in a healthcare setting within the last five years.
- A specific interest in serving LGBTQ seniors. Three years working in settings with LGBTQ seniors preferred.
- Compassionate, patient, creative, and strong social skills.
- Interest and ability to work within a diverse team.
- Experience coordinating the work of volunteers and contract staff, as necessary, for activities.
- Fluency in a second language preferred.
- Ability to work one weekend day (Tuesday - Saturday).
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must have and maintain (or obtain before start date) First Aid and CPR certification.
- Additional pre-employment requirements include an ability to clear a criminal background check and obtain required medical clearances, including a health screening and Tuberculosis (TB) test.
On Lok's Employee Benefits include (eligible for any regular position for 20 hr/wk or more):
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Retirement Savings Plan 403(b) and Term Life/AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account, Commuter Checks, MLA scholarships, Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Pet Insurance and additional discounts
- Holidays (10 per year), vacation time, sick leave, and long-term disability insurance
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and state and federal laws (including federal PACE requirements at 42 CFR 460.64(a); 460.68(a), we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
On Lok is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy), race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, age, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If you require reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions and/or to receive other terms, privileges or benefits of employment please contact Recruitment (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Job Posted by ApplicantPro