Ombudsman, a growing, dynamic organization with a social mission to offer hope, is seeking a Special Education Teacher to join our family.
This individual will join an award-winning team and perform meaningful work in a culture that welcomes innovation, encourages creative expression and offers limitless potential for personal and professional satisfaction.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, goal-oriented, outcome-driven environment, seek a career with a social mission, and possess a problem-solving mindset, a sense of humor – and a stellar work ethic – we should talk.
The Special Education Teacher plans, prepares and implements the instructional process for students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) within the learning center or classroom including, but not limited to; delivery of instruction, implementation of curriculum materials & educational software, and development of daily lesson plans & classroom schedule, which reflect state and school requirements as well the physical, emotional, and educational needs of the learner.
The Special Education Teacher implement standards for student behavior in order to ensure a safe, secure, and effective learning environment by providing a high degree of structure, clear expectations, and consistency. This Special Education Teacher collaborates with the content teacher(s) to provide instructional supports and approved modification to the curriculum. The position uses data to inform learning, assess progress and adjust instruction as needed.
The position operates with general direction from the director and functions as an integral part of the Ombudsman team in supporting and implementing Ombudsman and ChanceLight initiatives. The position operates within the defined practices and processes from the Special Education function and adheres to the guidelines for compliance as defined. The Special Education teacher supports the director in decisions regarding the operation of the center and is an active and productive member of the site team.
- Provides a collaborative environment for students, parents, center staff and administrative personnel.
- Establishes a climate that promotes a firm, fair and respectful classroom environment with a focus on social development and group responsibility by modeling and reinforcing positive behaviors as outlined in Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) program for the school and classroom.
- Implements established school-wide and classroom PBIS program; reinforcement systems, behavioral expectations and consequence guidelines, prescribed level system program and assists with maintaining corresponding data collection/record keeping system.
- Responsible for recording student progress/ records and maintaining student files on a continuing basis, and preparing reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative reg If applicable, write IEPs, behavior plans, functional behavior analyses as per required by specific contracts.
- Provide direct instruction in subjects if required in I Be able to work in a team environment to effectively teach collaboratively and/or co-teach curricular subjects as required in IEP.
- Modify curriculum and assist with differentiated instruction for students as well as staff. Uses a variety of instructional strategies and resources to respond to the students' diverse needs and interests; including prescribed educational software and intervention curriculum.
- Acts as case manager if required by the district to special education students which may include updating the IEP and goal.
- Prepare lesson plans and materials for assigned class.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) for maintaining the personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment and adhering to State and Federal law.
- Assists the Site Director in maintaining the physical center, furniture, and supplies in a neat and orderly condition according to procedure Ensures that the center and the outside surrounding area are neat, clean, well maintained and present an organized and professional appearance always and provides a positive learning environment conducive to the education of students. Is responsible for the proper use and cleanliness of equipment.
- Keeps up to date with research-based practices and developments in subject area, resources, and professional development.
- Responds constructively to formal and informal feedback.
Bachelors or better.
Strong motivational skills and willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and new initiatives.
Strong oral and written communication, instruction, curriculum, conflict resolution, multitasking, problem solving, decision making and organizational skills.
Strong skills in working with students with diverse needs.
Knowledge of curriculum, differentiation and instruction.
Relevant teaching experience
Meet professional teacher education requirements of the state.
Licenses & Certifications Required
Special Education Teacher Certification
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities