The Director of Safety is responsible for ensuring that the goals of a safe and healthy work environment are actively pursued in an effective and conscientious manner. Responsible for providing leadership, strategy and direction while integrating corporate health, safety and environmental policies, programs and processes in support of operational excellence and continuously improving the Omaha Track safety culture. Actively promotes the Omaha Track LEAD safety culture by placing a primary focus on risk mitigation, hazard assessment and employee occupational safety and health. Provides tactical assurance of compliance with all laws, statutes, regulations and appropriate standards across all business units. Develops and maintains best in class processes, audits and metrics to achieve the policy objectives in these areas. Provides assurance that all personnel in all business units have the necessary understanding and training and remain in compliance with the policies and processes.
The Director of Safety reports directly to the President, serving as his key safety adviser and will work closely with the Senior Leadership Team, and the Board of Directors.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Business Strategy. Develops and/or improves health, safety and environmental strategies for the organization. Creates efficiencies and promotes best practices by reviewing the company’s performance in relation to policy, compliance review and reporting, loss prevention, and safety committees. Ensures compliance with regulations, standards and codes. Oversees the development of the safety dashboards utilizing the SPOTFIRE analytics software identifying the key safety metrics for each business unit. Work with the key business unit managers to identify trends and continuously improve processes and develop necessary training.
• Managing Stakeholder Relations. Functions as a consultant to the senior manager of each business unit, as well as Omaha Track business partners to: (1) communicate Omaha Track’s commitment to safety, (2) understand issues and needs affecting them and (3) learn emerging trends in our industry. Leads the audit process to ensure that safety measures are adequate for each facility and field operation and that safe work procedures are enforced in each location and project site.
• Stewardship. Understand and mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile. Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard personnel and financial assets of the company. Standardize and oversee the management and coordination of all safety reporting activities, including the SPOTFIRE analytics system and facilitate system improvements based on feedback and analysis. Re-enforce a uniform approach to the management of safety across all business units.
• Leadership. Actively promote and enhance the LEAD safety culture and drive behavior-based safety initiatives. Establish, implement and audit, short and long-range safety initiatives, objectives, policies and operational procedures. Work with Senior Managers to implement operational best practices. Mentor and develop the safety team to improve work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic. Advise the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors as requested.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
• A minimum of five years of work experience in Environmental Health & Safety in a position of progressive responsibility. Prior experience in the railroad industry is a plus.
• Demonstrated success as serving as a key advisor to the President and Senior Leadership.
• Bachelor Science in Occupational Health and Safety or Risk Management. Advanced degree is preferred.
• Professional designation such as CSP (Certified Safety Professional), ARM (Associate in Risk Management) or CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist)
• Knowledge of Governmental bodies (EPA & OSHA) Policies, Regulations, Codes and Practices. Knowledge of the Federal Railroad Administration regulations is a plus.
• Demonstrated experience in risk management and change management.
• Demonstrated experience in program development and implementation.
• Strong skills in establishing, monitoring and forecasting safety incident/hazard trends.
Ability to effectively communicate with executive management, board of directors and senior leadership.