Olmsted Center for Sight (OCS) is seeking a part time Switchboard Operator to work 20 hours or less per week. This position is primarily responsible for answering external and internal calls at the Buffalo VA hospital. Under the direction of the VA Regional Director, the Switchboard Operator is expected to provide efficient, courteous and outstanding customer service to the callers of the Buffalo VA hospital.
Shift times may include daytime, evening, weekend and overnights. Ability to work holidays as scheduled. Applicants will be expected to maintain flexibility in scheduling to the extent practical to meet the needs of a 24 hour help center.
· Direct callers to desired area
· Execute hospital emergency codes
· Contact on-call physicians, medical and surgical teams, and key hospital staff
· Provide communication support to hospital staff
· Provide patient information as requested
· Provide general information to all patients, visitors, and VA staff
· Demonstrate basic keyboarding and computer skills
· Proficient in use of assistive technology
· Demonstrate excellent internal and external customer service
· Maintain confidentiality and professionalism in a fast paced environment
· Comfortable communicating with individuals in crisis or experiencing high levels of stress
· Effectively work with individuals of diverse backgrounds
· Effectively communicate with colleagues, customers, vendors and/or outside agencies
· Prioritize demands and respond accordingly
· Demonstrate detail orientation in completion of duties Apply agency standards in performance of position duties
· Demonstrate ability to problem solve when faced with ambiguity
· Ability to work independently
· Minimum of 6 months in switchboard operation in a hospital setting or related experience required
· High School diploma or equivalent preferred
· Ability to provide documentation of legal blindness preferred
TO APPLY please click on the link below:
Olmsted Center for Sight is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Any person with a disability needing special accommodations to the application process please call Human Resources.
VIA helps advance the lives of those in the blind and visually impaired community.
VIA helps change the perception of others about the blind and visually impaired community.
Olmsted Center for SightPronounced: “VEE-AH” OUR MISSION: VIA helps advance the lives of those in the blind and visually impaired community. VIA helps change the perception of others about the blind and visually impaired community.