Job Summary: Schedules patients for procedures and surgery and advises patients of surgical and financial preoperative requirements. Coordinates and schedules appointments for surgeries and procedures at the clinic, ambulatory surgery center or hospital.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and schedule surgeries and procedures and follow-up appointments as designated by physicians according to established policies and procedures.
2. Interact with patients’, physicians and other staff within the clinic and at outside facilities providing accurate, timely and responsive information.
3. Coordinate processes and timing as required to meet physician and facility requirements.
4. Coordinate arrangements for surgical assistants, special equipment, and surgical materials.
5. Schedule diagnostic therapy and other treatments as requested.
6. Obtain authorization for surgery from patient’s insurance company.
7. Provide patient with generic preoperative information sheets and advise patients of preoperative surgical and financial requirements.
8. Submit patient clinical and financial information to facility assuring appropriate medical records release, if needed.
9. Answer and screen telephone calls in a courteous manner, and record messages for physician and other personnel.
10. Obtain accurate information from patients and ensure all registration forms are complete.
11. Collect patient pre-payments as directed daily.
12. Provide information to patients regarding unpaid balances prior to procedure or surgery.
13. File records in appropriate sections of patient electronic or paper charts and keep patient charts in proper order.
14. Review financial and clinical paperwork to assure completion before the scheduled procedure or surgery date.
15. Maintain files and patient records in a confidential manner.
16. Perform other related duties as directed or assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED; Associate degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum two years of experience in an appointment scheduling position or customer service position, preferably in a medical practice setting. Word processing and computer experience. Surgery scheduling experience preferred.
1. Knowledge of clinic policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of common pain management and orthopedic procedures.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology and insurance practices.
4. Knowledge of computer programs and applications.
5. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type, review and edit reports, documentation and correspondence.
6. Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures, and make changes accurately.
7. Knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding.
1. Skill in operating office equipment
2. Skill in handling paperwork/filing adequately.
3. Skill in handling incoming phone calls and triaging appropriately.
4. Skill in written and verbal communication.
5. Skill in gathering, interpreting, and reporting insurance information.
6. Skill in trouble-shooting insurance issues and resolving appropriately.
1. Ability to work effectively as a team member with physicians and other staff.
2. Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
3. Ability to interpret and understand insurance benefits and reimbursement.
4. Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands.
5. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
7. Ability to communicate clearly.
8. Ability to work with little supervision.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.