Oklahoma City Indian Clinic is hiring a Diabetes Educator to our Metabolic Center! The Diabetes Educator will provide nursing services and Diabetes Self Management Education to patients and families and maintain the diabetes management in our Electronic Health Record.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts nursing assessments and provides appropriate nursing care to all patients with diabetes care and prevention, including those newly diagnosed with diabetes, gestational diabetes and those with established diabetes that is poorly controlled.
- Provides Diabetes Self Management Education to individuals and groups on all aspects of diabetes care, including prevention and control. Documents educational assessments, topics, self-management goals and evaluation. Uses the Indian Health Services diabetes education curriculum; uses teaching strategies with a variety of approaches and methods to incorporate adult learning theory.
- Collaborates with BRAID team to develop and implement goals and objectives that reflects measurable outcomes to maintain accreditation; evaluates behavioral and clinical outcomes.
- Collaborates with BRAID team to obtain data for the SDPI annual program grant application and report
- Provides case management techniques to evaluate education and clinical interventions for individual clients; monitors group data for quality improvement activities and projects.
- Maintains the Diabetes Management System in RPMS; routinely updates all taxonomies; pharmacy, laboratory, health factors and education within the Diabetes Register.
- Coordinates and conducts the annual diabetes audit.
- Promotes diabetes awareness and prevention during community events through various methods including participation, visual displays, posters, booths, screenings, distribution of literature and educational activities.
- Makes appropriate referrals for podiatry, nutrition, health promotion, etc.
- Bachelor's from accredited college or university
- Must have current RN or RD license in good standing with the Oklahoma State Board
- Must have Certified Diabetes Educator certificate
- Preferred experience working with the American Indian population
- Continuing education in diabetes education and treatment and teaching strategies required.
All resumes/applications must be submitted by 5pm 12.20.2019