Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Full time position based in Pasadena, CA
OffWorld is a robotics startup working on developing a robotic workforce for heavy industrial jobs on Earth, Moon, asteroids & Mars. OffWorld was founded by an experienced engineering team drawing on decades of tackling formidable engineering challenges at NASA, ESA, SSL/MDA, CERN, Reaction Engines, SAFRAN, Surrey Satellites, and Cisco. OffWorld’s first challenge is developing and maturing a modular robotic system for mining on Earth; our robots will go deeper underground than human miners can, eliminate the need for humans to work in life-threatening underground environments, and dramatically reduce the environmental footprint and cost of mining.
We have designed a modular robotic architecture that focuses on maximizing the commonality and reusability across components for fast deployment and optimization. Our robotic systems combine sensor information, cutting-edge classical/machine learning (ML) algorithms, and a robotics real-time system platform for control, decision making, and execution.
OffWorld is seeking a talented and motivated Mechanical Engineer to join a fast-moving team working to create advanced microwave systems for our robots. You will be working at the core of the Microwave Team on developing simulations for current and future microwave systems. You will be designing the mechanical assemblies and simulating and running analysis on the various aspects of the different components of microwave systems being developed at OffWorld. This includes thermal systems (liquid or air cooling), vacuum systems, and others. You will work on design evaluation, verification/validation, and optimization. You will be required to interpret design/simulation results and provide physical explanations, possible solutions, and recommended design changes/directions to meet system requirements.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to work in a team along with the required communication skills to effectively interact with other engineers.
To hit the ground running, you need:
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) or an MSc in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) with a minimum of 3 years of experience in mechanical design, structural analysis, and thermal simulations.
- Extensive experience in using Solidworks, Ansys, Autodesk, or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge in Engineering, Machinable Design, Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics, and Numerical Methods.
- Experience in mechanical design of microwave components, such as in radar systems, industrial heating applications, or other high-power microwave transmission systems.
- Expertise in cooling practices for liquid, passive, and forced air-cooled systems, in particular, experience in thermal modeling for passively cooled systems is a plus.
- Knowledge of standard system design of cooling systems and components is a plus.
- Knowledge of vacuum system design is a plus.
- Experience with Ingress Protection ratings is a plus.
- Familiar with CAD software: SolidWorks and Ansys is very desirable.
- Familiar with Product Data Management (PDM) and Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM) such as TeamCenter.
- Knowledge of MATLAB or equivalent, user subroutine development is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written/online communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in leading teams for research and development or production.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and organize your work to meet deadlines. Comfortable multi-tasking/working on different projects concurrently.
- Self-driven, passionate, and constantly pursuing knowledge and excellence.
- Nothing-is-impossible attitude.
In a nutshell, we offer
- Opportunity to sink your teeth into cutting edge industrial robotics problems
- Opportunity to contribute to the mission of transforming how we mine on Earth today and how we will one day mine on the Moon, asteroids & Mars
- Opportunity to attend relevant conferences in the line of research
- Competitive package
- Offer to join the OffWorld team full-time--if
- You are as crazy-excited about the mission as we are
- You’ve demonstrated you are The Right Stuff
**OffWorld is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Powered by JazzHR
ManufacturingView all jobs at OffWorld