Domestic/Family Law Paralegal
- Posted: over a month ago
- $60,000 to $900,000 Yearly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, 401k,
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman PC, a full-service law firm in Reston, VA, seeks a bright, dynamic, self-starting Domestic/ Family Law Paralegal to support its fast paced Domestic/ Family Law practice. Our growing, collegial firm emphasizes challenging work for our employees in a team-oriented environment.
The Domestic/Family Law Paralegal will assist attorneys by investigating facts, drafting legal documents, organizing and maintaining case files and researching. Paralegals perform the same functions as an attorney except those generally prohibited by unauthorized practice of law statutes, i.e., accepting clients, setting legal fees, giving legal advice, or representing others in court.
- Draft motions and stipulations, i.e., dismissal, extensions of time and orders.
- Draft notices to set, to continue, and to depose.
- Assist in all aspects of propounding and responding to discovery.
- Assist with financial data collection.
- Monitor and assist in ensuring all scheduling order tasks and other deadlines are completed.
- Be familiar with state and local court rules.
- Conduct legal research, including sherardizing, and cite checks.
- Draft correspondence to client, witnesses, experts, and others.
- Prepare summaries concerning cases on appeal and final appellate decisions for attorney review.
- Maintain or assist with document template database.
- Utilizes Internet, databases, and other computerized support.
- Gathers and analyzes research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes and documents.
- Checks accuracy and validity of factual and legal citations in pleadings and legal memoranda using documents, library and online resources.
- Checks accuracy and validity of citation form for factual and legal citations in pleadings and legal memoranda using documents, library online resources and the current edition of The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, published and distributed periodically by The Harvard Law Review Association.
- Proofreads typed material for contextual, grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Possess working knowledge of Virginia family and juvenile laws and rules.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and be able to prioritize and handle multiple projects and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to work independently and show initiative in providing creative solutions to any given problem or challenge.
- Pay close attention to detail and possession of a strong customer service orientation.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instruction effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, staff and co-counsel and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Ability to handle work that occasionally requires a high level of continuous mental effort while organizing and maintaining multiple matters and/or projects.
- Ability to retrieve and distribute boxes of material weighing up to 30 pounds, and retrieve objects from shelves of up to 8 feet high and replace same.
- Ability to travel to locally to private and public buildings, via personal or public transportation to assist attorneys in attending to client needs on legal matters.
- Knowledge of online databases, electronic resources, and reference materials is also necessary to serve the needs of our clients effectively. Working knowledge of a variety of online services including Lexis, Westlaw, time keeping software, court case management systems, and familiarity with Microsoft Office
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and a paralegal degree/certificate preferred. Minimum of three years on-the-job experience in order to gain the expertise needed to do substantive legal work with a demonstrated proficiency in basic Paralegal skills.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds at times.
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman PCWhy Work Here?
OFP provides a team oriented culture where there is opportunity for growth and values their employees.
Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C., a full-service law firm located in Reston, Virginia, serves clients in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and throughout the nation. Established in 1972, we have grown to more than 60 attorneys who offer experience in practice areas spanning the legal issues facing the businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals we serve.